Chapter 15

I hadn't talk to Cody or Devon for a week. I couldn't remember the last time I hadn't spoken to a Bower boy in that long. I still talked to their mom every time I went over to get my bandages changed and Cody called me once after I left his house but I didn't answer and he didn't leave a message. It was weird being disconnected from them. Lonely. I didn't really have a lot of friends so I had been spending most of my time cooped up in my room, thinking about everything. Picturing Cody and Shelby, picturing my life without the Bower boys, and picturing going back to Cody after all that had happened. I was exhausted from all of the over thinking I'd been doing. Luckily today was my last day to get my bandages changed and then I wouldn't have to stress about seeing Cody or Devon. I would be totally cut off from the Bower family... possibly forever. It was a depressing thought.

I sat on the same stool I had been sitting on for the past week as Mrs. Bower did her daily cleaning and wrapping of my wounds. The cuts were healing well and there would be minimal scarring according to Mrs. Bower.

"You need to be more careful around glass Ode. It could've been much worse." Mrs. Bowers shook her head and repeated the same thing she had been telling me since day one.

I tried not to smile. "I know Mrs. B. I will, I promise."

She looked back up at me and smiled. "And I don't know what's going on right now, but you're always welcome her sweetie. Always." She leaned in and hugged me. I closed my eyes and hugged her back, grateful to have such a kinda and understanding woman in my life.

"Thank you Mrs. Bower. And I'm sorry for all of the issues I've caused." I looked away as I apologized, embarrassed. But I felt compelled to apologize for causing so much drama within her family.

"It'll all work out." Her smile faded a bit, but she still looked like she believed her words. I just nodded along with her, trying my best to convince myself that she was right.

I stood up and lingered in the kitchen for a moment longer, wanting to ask Mrs. Bower something but also hesitating since it was a question about her son. After a moment of debating I figured I might as well just go for it. "Do you think it's possible to get back trust once it's gone?" I asked. The question applied to both mine and Cody's situation.

Mrs. Bower looked at me questioningly but didn't ask for details. "I think it depends on the people and their stories. Sometimes it was never strong enough to begin with and sometimes it's too destroyed to get back." She answered vaguely, not necessarily answering my question but making me think about what kind of trust Cody and I had before the incidents occurred. Back when it was just the two of us and Devon and Shelby were nonexistent in our relationship (except for my innocent crush on Devon).

"Thanks." I nodded, letting her know that I would consider her advice. She began to clean up the medical supplies before she replied with an "anytime" and walked out.

I stared at the doorway that she had just walked out of and then looked around the kitchen slowly. It made me sad that I may never step foot into this house again. I know that Mrs. Bower said that I was always welcome but I had a feeling that if I ended it with Cody then I wouldn't come back. Even if we remained friends or if Devon and I remained friends it wouldn't feel like my second home anymore. With a sigh, I walked out of the kitchen and to the front door. I opened it and nearly screamed when I saw a person standing outside, having been about to knock. My hand flew to my heart, which had nearly stopped, and I looked at the girl in front of me. My near cardiac arrest soon turned to a heart pounding in anger as I made eye contact with none other than Shelby.

She looked so startled when she opened the door then she started laughing at what probably would've been a funny situation if it was with another person, any other person. I narrowed my eyes at her as she smiled at me.