Chapter 7

"Oh Odette, you don't know how much I needed this girls days out." Mrs. Bower sighed while I drove her back from the mall on Saturday.

I had spent five hours distracting her at the mall and I was exhausted. Who knew that a fifty-year-old woman could have so much energy to shop. The only good thing that came out of the trip was that despite all my protests, Mrs. Bower had insisted on buying me a couple of shirts. I felt extremely guilty though, it was her birthday after all, I should've been buying her stuff. I guess throwing a surprise party was a good gift though.

"It was fun!" I agreed, smiling at her.

She leaned her head back against the headrest and closed her eyes. "Sometimes living with those boys is just too much."

"Tell me about it." I mumbled, knowing my reason was completely different than hers. She looked at me sideways, but I refused to look away from the road. Mrs. Bower was very intuitive, and I had no doubt in my mind that she would disapprove of the situation I was currently in with her sons.

"Oh honey, you know I love you as if you were my own daughter ." Mrs. Bower began quietly, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear in a very motherly way. I gave her a small smile, silently encouraging her to continue. "and I will continue to love you no matter which one you choose."

I frowned at her in confusion. Which one I choose? "I'm sorry, you lost me." I gave a small laugh.

"I'm not blind Ode." She looked at me sadly. My smile instantly faded when I looked at her grave face. " I know they both love you. And I know that you also love both of them. I'm just asking you to choose wisely, and not hurt them. Don't ruin their relationship." She finished, lightly putting her hand over mine. I froze when I finally realized what she was talking about.

My eyes began to prickle and I could feel tears forming. Oh my god. She knew. She knew what an awful person I was and how horribly I treated her sons. She knew. How could she not be freaking out on me right now?

I opened my mouth to respond, but instantly closed it again, not knowing what to say. I tried again, but once again no words came out. Finally I managed to speak. "I'm so sorry." I whispered. "I never meant for this to happen. I didn't know- I just- I'm so sorry." Tears were now streaming down my face, making it a little difficult to see the road.

"Shh. Calm down sweetie. Just breathe." Mrs. Bower said soothingly. I concentrated on breathing in and out slowly so I didn't hyperventilate as she continued talking. " I understand Odette. You can't help who you love. Of course I wish you didn't love both my sons, but I understand. I'm definitely not happy about it though. I'm just hoping that you're smart enough to handle this maturely and the right way. Because if you tear my boys apart and break their hearts, I'm gonna be a little pissed." She smiled, giving a little laugh. I, however, didn't find this situation funny at all.

Everything that Mrs. Bower had just said had been the thoughts that had been running through my mind ever since that night with Devon. She had just voiced all of my fears. But I had already decided hadn't I? So, this conversation was no longer necessary. Everything was right. So why did it feel so wrong?

"I'm with Cody Mrs. Bower. That's who I love and that's who I choose." I answers quietly, refusing to look at her. She sighed and I could see her slowly shake her head.

" I just want you to be sure." She sounded doubtful. I looked at her for the frat time since she brought this subject up, my face hard.

"Cody's my boyfriend, i choose him. I can depend on him and I know he'd do anything for me. He's sweet and kind and caring. He makes me laugh. He loves me and only me so I'm going to love only him as well." I said, my voice strong and sure. She didn't respond for a while, and I listened to the sound of my unsteady breathing. We were almost to their house now, the surprise party waiting for us. Even though I was definitely not in a party mood any more.