Chapter 5

*** Three months earlier...

I walked into the Bower house without even knocking. I practically lived there so I didn't find it necessary to ask for permission to enter. Plus, Mrs. Bower got genuinely offended when I knocked. She always said that she felt as if I was apart of the family, and if i saw it necessary to knock then she and her family weren't doing their job of making me feel welcome. She could be so sensitive sometime.

"Cody?" My yell echoed through the house. When no reply came i started walking around, hoping to find someone. I hadn't told him that I was coming over so I was hoping he was home. I headed towards his room, knowing that's where he would be if he was here. That boy never left his room, i swear. And when he was in there, all he did was play with his X-Box. He was such a boy sometimes.

I opened the door to his room, only to discover that it was empty. Dang. Where on earth was he? I thought. Since when did he have a life outside of his house? Sighing, i closed his door again and headed for the kitchen. That was the second place he'd be. If he wasn't playing video games or sleeping, he was eating. I pushed open the kitchen door, and immediately froze. Cody wasn't there, but his brother Devon was. Oh, Devon.

I had had the biggest crush on Devon for as long as i could remember. Sure, it was wrong of me to like someone when I had a perfect boyfriend, especially since it was his brother, but i couldn't help it. The heart wants what the heart wants. Plus, it's not like i had a chance with the Oh-so-sexy Devon Bower anyway. He was a year older, I wasn't very pretty, and he saw me as a younger sister. Not to mention the fact that he had a girlfriend, well, kind of. Those two were on and off again every other week.

Returning back to the present, i realized that Devon wasn't wearing a shirt, only jeans slung low on his waist while going through the refrigerator. Fantastic, just what i needed, my crush standing in front of me half-naked. The fact that he had a flawlessly toned body didn't help anything. I blinked when i realized i was staring and immediately looked away.

Devon realized I was there after a couple of seconds and grinned at me.

"Hey Ode, what's up?" He asked nonchalantly. He grabbed the orange juice carton from the fridge and started chugging it. He was such a guy! Even though he looked so sexy when he did that.

I laughed and shook my head in disapproval but decided to let his improper manners slide for now. I decided to ask him about Cody instead.

"Nothing really, just looking for Cody. Do you know where he is?" I asked, looking around as if he was just going to turn up. I looked back at Devon to see his happy grin gone and replaced by a scowl. I wondered what i had said or if he and Cody had gotten into some argument or something. I hoped it was the latter because i didn't know what i could've said that would make him react like that.

"He's not home. I think him and his friends were going downtown or something. It's just me. Mom and Dad had work today." He says, putting the juice back in the fridge and closing the door. I suddenly feel really uncomfortable being in a house alone with this boy.

"Oh, dang. Well, later then." I said, disappointed. I walked back out of the kitchen heading for the front door. I stopped instantly and turned when i heard Devon call my name. He walked out after me, wearing a half smile. Man, it was breathtaking.

"Hey Ode, why don't you stay? I'm going to be bored out of my mind if you don't." He suggested, walking closer to me. I considered it for a second before deciding, why not? I had nothing better to do and i always had so much fun when I would hang out with Devon.

"Well, i have nothing better to do, so i guess i can suck it up and hang out with you." I grinned wickedly. Making fun of him was very entertaining because he always had the best reactions. Seriously, his reactions made everything ten times more funny.