Fun Facts part 2!

AU: Don't worry! Next chapter will be a written one! We'll take a break from these facts! :)

Florida:

- It’s the only state that borders both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

- Florida is the boating and fishing capital of the world.

- Parking fines can be a hassle, but standard parking fees apply to any elephants tied to parking meters in Sarasota.

- People cannot sell oranges on the streets of Miami. Anyone who violates this law can spend up to 30 days in jail.

- Florida prohibits parents from selling their children. 

- The law prohibits having sexual relations with a porcupine.

- In Oakland, Florida, it’s illegal to exchange gossip of any way, shape, or form.

- Unmarried women cannot parachute out of a plane on Sundays.

Georgia:

- In Gainesville, which is the chicken capital of the world, it is actually illegal to use a fork to eat chicken.

- Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi.

- Georgia has 12 different climate zones, ranging from subtropical to alpine to semi-desert, and has 49 types of soil.

- You cannot give another man a piggy-back ride in Atlanta.

- You cannot carry an ice cream cone in your backpocket on Sunday.

- You cannot whistle after 11pm on Mondays.

Hawaii:

- From East to west, Hawaii is the widest sate in the USA.

- Only in Hawaii can you tan at the beach in the morning and make a snowball in the afternoon (atop Maunakea Volcano on Hawaii island).

- Established in 1831, Lahainaluna High School on Maui is the oldest school west of the Rocky Mountains.

- Billboards are illegal.

Idaho:

- Idaho is the 13th Largest State in the U.S. Idaho's Population is around 1.5 million with about 600,000 living in the Boise metro area

- In 1861, Idaho wasn’t even called Idaho. Originally, Congress dubbed the land the Colorado Territory. Idaho finally became a territory all its own in 1863 and became the 43rd state in 1890.

- Thirteen U.S. states are split into two time zones, and Idaho's one of them.

- Idaho's most famous crop (the potato) isn't native to the area. The first potato in America was actually planted in New Hampshire, in 1719.

- Cannibalism is illegal unless it's for survival.  

- No smoking allowed if you're 19.9 feet from a bowling alley entrance.  20.1 feet?  You're good.

- You are not allowed to sleep in a dog kennel. (Unless you're a dog.)

- Snakes have been banned from biting humans on a Sunday... Unless its snowing. Free pass!

Illinois:

- Illinois is home to the largest bottle of catsup.

- First to ratify the 13th amendment

- Home to the only river that flows backwards.

- They invented Twinkies in 1930

- In Decatur, it's against the law to drive a car without a steering wheel

- It's fine for boys in Mount Pulaski to throw snowballs, but against the law for girls to do it.

- In Kenilworth, a rooster must step back 300 feet from any residence if he wishes to crow

Indiana:

- The Indianapolis 500 Car Race is the biggest sporting event in the world.

- The name Indiana refers to the local Native Americans and means land of the Indians.

- Michael Jackson was born here

Iowa:

- Among the 50 states, Iowa ranks 30th in population and 23rd in land area.

- The word "Iowa" comes form the American Indian tribe of the same name. 

- Iowa became the 29th state on December 28, 1846. 

- Iowa is the only state bordered by two navigable rivers; the Missouri River to the west and the Mississippi River to the east.

- Iowa is the only state name that starts with two vowels.

- It's illegal for a kiss to last longer than 5 minutes.

- In Cedar Rapids it's illegal to read a person's palms in the city limits.

- In Marshalltown, horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants.

Kansas:

- Kansas has so many tornadoes, it has the nickname 'Tornado Alley'.

- Kansas is the home of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. You can still see her home in Liberal, Kansas.

- Kansas, nicknamed the Sunflower State, but also known as the Jayhawk State, the Midway State, and the Wheat State.

- Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.

- No one may catch fish with his bare hands.

- The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.

- If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.

Kentucky:

- The song “Happy Birthday to You” was penned by two Louisville sisters.

- Post-its were invented there.

- Kentucky is the original Land of Lincoln. Sorry Illinois.

- You can't throw flowers at a public speaker.

- Three times is the limit on marriages.

- Each citizen is required to shower once each year.

- Anyone who has been drinking is deemed sober until they cannot hold onto the ground