3

Annabeth wanted to run back to her cabin and pretend she was unwell. Anything to be away from him. She knew that if she saw him again, she would break. And she couldn't do that in front of the other campers. Deep down, however, she knew that if she kept avoiding him he would just come to her. It was in his genes to be caring. So she decided to face archery.

Archery was being held by Chiron and Mr D. Mr D was sat on Chiron's back, braiding his hair. Chiron didn't seem too upset, but pretended to be annoyed to amuse his boyfriend.

Percy was already there, helping the younger campers with the bows. Annabeth's heart ached as she watched him. His smile, his eyes. She shook herself out of her thoughts before she could start crying again. Will and Nico were sitting by the trees, the later watching with great amusement when Percy was almost hit with one of the arrows. If she was being completly honest, she almost felt like he deserved it. She saw Rory snicker in the corner of her eye.

Chiron passed out the rest of the bows and set everyone to work. Basic practice. Annabeth was, though she didn't mean to gloat, a pretty good shot. It wasn't her first choice if weapon, but she could use it in an emergency. She saw Rory from across the range, definatly not doing as well. She could hit the target, but most of the arrows stayed away from the red bullseye. After a few more shots she put down the bow and sat off to one side. Confused, Annabeth placed her own bow down and went to talk to her.

"Why did you stop?" she asked when she was within earshot. Rory snorted and shook her head. "I can make you pretty much any weapon you want, but I have a worse shot than a blindfolded Cyclops." Despite herself, Annabeth chuckled. "I mean it! I have never gotten anywhere the center of that damned target in my entire life!" Rory chuckled again. "The only way I'll ever hit a bullseye is if...I don't know...my very very reason for existing is in danger," she continued.

Annabeth glanced at Percy. She couldn't help but let her gaze linger. She sighed and sat down, the grass tickling her legs. Rory looked to where Annabeth had been staring. She smiled and sighed. "I may not be able to use a bow but I can thro pretty far," she joked. Annabeth giggled, a sound she did not take pleasure in making. "Well, I better be going, see you later Smart-ass." Annabeth scoweld. The nickname reminded her too much of when Percy would call her Wise Girl.

After a few moments she got tired of just sitting down and went back to her cabin. Some of her siblings were there, practicing chess or giving each other brain-teasers. Normal. That's what she needed. To just have a normal day. She sat down on her bed and pulled out a book on war strategy. She had read it countless times before but she wanted to revise.

Just with her luck, one of the younger campers came up to her. "Someone wants to talk to you." Then they ran off, not even giving a name. She guessed it was the Stols trying to get her involved in another stupid prank, but when she reached the door she was practically floored. "Can we talk?"

* * *

Jason shifted awkwardly on his feet, nit meeting her gaze. Annabeth took a deep breath. "What do you want Jason?"

"Can we...could we do this somewhere else?" he asked, fear shining through his voice. "Fine," she replied curtly. They walked in silence until they were behind the Zeus cabin. "What do you want?" Annabeth repeated, irritation creeping into her voice. "I wanted to say I'm sorry. For the way things ended between you and Percy and me. I didn't know he would...I didn't think that he would end things like that. I never wanted for you to get hurt or anything. So I'm sorry." Annabeth was at a loss for words. She didn't expect Percy to apologise or try reconcile their friendship, let alone Jason apologise on his behalf. She was barely keeping it together. "Thank you, Jason." Her voice shook with the effort to not cry. Jason breathed out a sigh if relief. Annabeth took another deep breath and started her walk back to cabin 6.

Once inside she curled up in her bed and tried to sleep. Her conversation with Jason kept playing in her head. Unfortunately she had a habit of overthinking things. After a while she fell into an uneasy, dreamless, sleep.

More apologies for the short chapter. Very very sorry for it being so short. Have a great day/night whatever time it is where you are!