12

Rory had no words. It had been a few days since Annabeth had kissed her in the forge. A few wonderful days. They would walk and talk together every night before going to their cabins. They would hold hands and kiss in secret by Zeus' fist.

Rory would still wake up shaking some nights, scared that she had slept for longer than she had meant to. She had completely lost her ability to dream. Every night she would be forced to go back there. It was a constant reminder of that whole "you will never overcome your misery" thing. She was pretty sure she was happy, especially when she was with Annabeth. It still bugged her, and she wanted to tell her, but at the same time didn't want to put a damper on the mood.

It was one night, when they were sitting next to each other talking, that Rory suddenly felt the need to tell her. Annabeth clearly knew something was up. She turned around and faced Rory, head tilted.

"You okay? You suddenly seem very serious." Rory took a deep breath.

"No." She could feel tears prick in the corners of her eyes. "No, I am no where near okay." Annabeth's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "It has nothing to do with you, I promise," Rory added hastily, reaching over and giving her hand a squeeze.

"When I was asleep, when you couldn't wake me up, I wasn't asleep." Annabeth's face washed with worry. "I mean, I was unconscious, but I was awake at the same time. I was in this room and there was this person. They told me these horrible things." Her voice was shakey. Annabeth sat up onto her knees.

"Hey, Rory, you can tell me. You know that, right?" Rory took another deep breath, stealing her nerves.

"They showed me this image, from when I was a kid. I destroyed..." tears started falling down her cheeks. Annabeth pulled her into a hug. "They told me I would never be able to overcome misery." The last sentence was barely above a whisper. "Every night when I go to sleep I go back there. I get so scared that I'm not gonna be able to wake up."

Annabeth rubbed her back in slow circles. "You're gonna be ok. I'll make sure of it. You're gonna wake up, every day. Okay?" Rory nodded.

"Look at me. You. Are. Okay." Rory nodded again.

"Thanks," she whispered sitting up. Annabeth tucked a stray piece of hair behind Rory's ear before kissing her on the nose.

"Seriously Beth?" Annabeth giggled and kissed her nose again. Rory was about to protest again but was cut off when Annabeth pecked her on the lips.

"Does that make up for it?" she asked raising an eyebrow. Rory smirked.

"Only if I get get one every time."

"Deal." Annabeth layed a light kiss on her nose. She didn't pull away for long before leaning in and kissing her on the lips. Rory smiled and deepened the kiss. She moved so that she was sitting on Annabeth's knees.

Rory pulled back and smiled sadly. "We've got to get going else someone might start asking questions." Annabeth nodded solemnly.

"I'm sorry, I just don't feel like putting labels on this yet." Rory tilted her head up and looked her in the eyes.

"I know. We don't have to use labels or tell anyone until you're ready." Annabeth smiled and pecked her on the lips. Rory slid off her knees and stood up while helping Annabeth to her feet.

Together they walked, hand in hand until they reached the edge of the woods. Rory kissed Annabeth on the head. "I'll see you in the morning." Annabeth nodded and walked to her cabin.

Her siblings were all fast asleep when she crept slowly inside. She slipped into her pyjamas and layed down in her bed. Her mind wandered back to the conversation in the woods. Rory had seemed so scared. She wished that there was something she could do. Eventually she fell into an uncomfortable sleep.