Chapter 19 - The Beginning of The End

Here it is! The long overdue update to A Reject. I'm seriously apologetic for this! You may have heard this once too many, but school is killer. Thankfully, the hols are up and I'll find more time to end this story. For now, happy reading! 

===============================================================================

Chapter 19 - The Begininning of The End

The dining room was full of Goldhill Pack Members. I did a quick assessment of whoever was present. Conspicuously, Mr and Mrs Fairs were absent, possibly in the infirmary trying to set some bones straight, but Landon was there, sitting beside the head of the table, ready to eat. Kyle wasn't there too but that was better. I had no wishes to see the bastard anytime soon.

I took my place beside Jackson, opposite Landon. "What are we going to do about the whole Harmony situation?" Landon asked, morosely scooping some soggy potatoes onto his plate. "Lost posters can't be an option anymore. And she's a witch. She should be using her powers in dire situations." I looked at Landon curiously, reaching for what looked like meatloaf. But I stopped abruptly, spotting something mysteriously looking like a peeler stuck in its depths. Ever since Harmony's disappearance, the members of Goldhill Pack had been trying their best to cook and provide for themselves. They were doing a horrible job at it.

"So it doesn't matter if she's not a full witch yet?" I asked, taking some potatoes since Landon still looked somewhat conscious. Landon nodded. "Technically, witches start to mature at age ten. Harmony's past that age already. But because of us mistreating her so badly, she's blooming later than the norm," he explained, going red when he mentioned the pack's abuse.

"Then it'll be a pretty big explosion," I muttered absent-mindedly. "Huh?" Jackson asked, spoon halfway to his mouth. "Think about it," I said, pondering hard now, although my head was pounding slightly already. "If she's got a few years of power building up under her belt, then won't she have a whole lot of magic pouring out of her instantaneously in that one moment when the situation gets 'dire'? She'd be able to escape and maybe even get help to contact us." 

"So what you're saying is that she isn't being treated too badly there yet?" Landon proposed, waving his fork for emphasis. We all grew solemn, looking at each other warily. There was another option that we had. 

That Harmony wasn't alive to experience her captor's treatment. 

"The food, to be frank, sucks," Cole stated bluntly as he sat down beside me. Chance pulled up the chair beside Landon. "You guys seriously need a cookbook around here," Chance complained, raising an eyebrow at Jackson. 

I sat in my chair, thinking hard and ignoring the pain building up. Jackson looked at me warily. 

Someone had put a hex on me, as the doctor had diagnosed, because of Harmony. So her captor didn't want me solving the mystery here. That would mean that someone had had a clear shot at me when my defenses were down. But I never let my guard down. Except when I was asleep but even then Jackson's wolf was on high alert. 

"Honey," Jackson began cautiously. "You really shouldn't rile your head up like that." "Nice to know you care so much for me," I smirked at him. "Let me finish my train of thought. I'm nearly there."

Whoever had cursed me, so to speak, had had to have a clear shot at me. But no one here had magical blood. Jackson would know. As Alpha, he knew everything that was going on here. A sorceror would never have made it under his nose on the pack territory. I racked my brains further. The only person who could even be suspected was Harmony. She was the only one with a questionable background. I felt like I was at a dead end again. Harmony's powers were undeveloped. Untouched.