Chapter 11 - Murder

Christmas is coming! Unfortunately, where I live, it doesn't snow but pours. Have you written to Santa yet? I haven't. (:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 11 - Murder

The scream only lasted five seconds before it ceased abruptly. I dashed to the forest while talking to my pack through the mind link. "Did you hear that?" I asked. "Yeah!" Cole and Chance replied at the same time. "Get to the forest as fast as you can," Kyle ordered. I smirked. "Already there," I said as I leapt over a log and shifted, my clothes ripping. My raven black wolf sprinted, taking great long strides. I suddenly realised that this was the first time I had shifted since arriving at Goldhill Pack. My wolf let out a howl to express her pleasure but then quieted herself again.

My paws made little to no sound on the forest ground. Even as I padded through leaf litter, there was only a slight rustling. I sped like a bullet, following the scent of the blood. It smelled like metal and rust. I gagged but kept my breakfast down. In no time, a golden wolf crashed through the trees to follow me. "About time, Kyle," I grumbled playfully and Kyle's chuckle rumbled in my mind. Three seconds later, the black and white wolves of Cole and Chance joined us. I felt a sense of complete and security with my pack and family.

That comfortable feeling was shattered when a silvery grey wolf came padding after us. "Jackson," I growled, pissed that he just had to come along. But Kyle quickly cheered me up, "Don't worry, Kimmy. We'll just take a few twists and turns and lose him easily. After all, we are in Eclipse Pack!" Cole and Chance howled through the mind link and I smirked. "Take my lead," I said and turned sharply to the left. My pack followed but Jackson skidded in the mud. By the time he had gotten back to his four feet properly, we were already a mile away.

I roared with laughter and the boys joined in. "Let's get back on track now," Kyle suggested and we all announced our assent. In another minute, we were at the heart of the forest and the scene of the crime. I couldn't help but stumble back. A female wolf's body was lying sprawled on the ground. It was supposed to be grey and black but crimson blood blossomed all over the fur. A deep gash in the throat was gushing out the most blood. The wolf's glassy eyes were wide open, looking but not seeing. Kyle stared harder and whispered, "That's Jane. She was one of the slower wolves." "We kept shouting for her to go faster," Cole gulped. Chance gasped. "Blimey. Y-You don't reckon she killed herself because we were too harsh on her, do you?" he muttered ominously.

"No," I reply. "No one would be so depressed as to do so. And anyway, it would have been near impossible to commit suicide in such a fashion." I nodded at the cut in Jane's throat. Kyle grumbled in assent. He walked over to me and rubbed his snout against mine in comfort. "Could have been a rogue," Cole speculated. Leaves rustled loudly behind us and, jumpy, I spun around to face the danger. It was only Jackson. But to me, that made no difference. He skidded to a stop at the sight of Jane's corpse and looked nauseous.

Landon appeared right behind Jackson and stopped too. His stance was calmer and firmer than Jackson's though. In his mouth, he gripped a bag. He flung it at me and the flap opened. Inside were clothes. I nodded in thanks and gave Landon a wolfy grin and I went to shift and put on clothes behind a tree. When I was finished, I gave the boys the bag and approached Landon. "Thanks," I said and he smiled wanly at me, clearly still disturbed by Jane's body. I looked over at Jackson and saw that he had already shifted and clothed himself. He was scowling puzzled at me and Landon.

"Alpha Jackson," I boomed and his eyes snapped to mine. "Could any rogues have infiltrated into your territory?" I asked. Jackson shook his head with a sour expression. "It's near impossible. We protect this pack very thoroughly." His eyes darkened with rage. "I know someone in this pack who could have held a grudge against Jane, though." I looked questioningly at him, waiting for him to continue.