Chapter 8 - Once A Jerk, Always A Jerk

Thank you so much for reading, everyone! When I saw 85 reads, I was amazed that people actually bothered to read A Reject, considering the name is pretty boring and generic. Once again, thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 8 - Once A Jerk, Always A Jerk

Cole, Chance and I followed Kyle up to the eighth floor. From behind him, I could see that Kyle's body language was stiff and tense. The twins and I exchanged apprehensive looks. We definitely thought that what awaited us in a minute would be nothing but reprimands and punishments. "Pack meeting," Kyle's voice echoed in our heads through the mind link. His voice was expressionless and stern. I flinched a bit. How would Kyle punish me? Send me back? That was a blessing and a curse. For one, I would get away from this place chock-full of nightmares. On the other hand, however, I would not get another chance to kick Jackson's ass or watch out for Harmony. Overall, I preferred to stay so that Harmony would have me by her side.

The four of us walked into Kyle's and my room. Kyle closed the door behind us and locked it. I just remembered the rooms were soundproof. So if Kyle decided to torture us here, no one would hear our pleas for mercy. The twins and I stood facing the bed, where Kyle sat, his head down. With a shock, I saw that Kyle's shoulders were shaking. Was he crying? His posture looked almost...defeated. I looked at Cole and Chance, both of them with identical looks of astonishment and surprise. We stood there awkwardly, wondering what to do.

All of a sudden, Kyle threw back his head and I saw with shock that his face was contorted. I considered running for the pack doctor. Was Kyle having a seizure or a fit? Instead, Kyle burst out laughing. The situation was too strange. Cole, Chance and I gaped at Kyle. He continued to roar with laughter. He grabbed his stomach and rolled around and around on the bed. Throughout Kyle's little 'fit' all I could think of was, "He's finally snapped. My Alpha has lost all his marbles."

After ten consecutive minutes, Kyle finally stopped. By then, all my nerves were frayed and I felt scared that he really had gone mad. Kyle wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes, still smiling. "Oh, I've wanted to hit that guy for so long!" he burst out, jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas. "It felt so good to finally protect my pack member!" Understanding Kyle's reason for acting like a maniac at last, I chuckled too.

"So, am I in trouble?" I asked warily. Kyle's smiled dropped. In its place was a stern look. "Yes," he said seriously, "I will have to punish you...for not punching him sooner." Kyle ended, a grin back in place. I smiled back and Cole and Chance looked even more shocked. "You're not going to charge her for misconduct?" Cole shouted disbelievingly. Kyle shrugged, pulling me into his arms. "I didn't charge you for those stunts in the plane and the taxi, now, did I?" Kyle countered and the twins fell silent.

"I am so proud of you," Kyle mumbled into my hair. I grinned at him. "Right back at you," I replied. We kissed for a moment and Chance yelled, "I'm hungry! Aren't you hungry, Cole?" Cole nodded, possibly anticipating a make-out session and desiring to leave before it took place. I pulled away. "We're all hungry," I pointed out, my stomach growling right then. "I have ten packets of marshmallows. I know Kyle has cookies and you two," I said, pointing at Cole and Chance, "can bring in those many boiled potatoes you nicked just now." Chance grumbled discontentedly, "How come you know everything? You're just like my mother!" I snickered at him. "We females are very perceptive," I told him, smiling sweetly.

And just like that, we had a little dinner of our own. Kyle even revealed he had brought fifty bags of beef jerky that had escaped my inspection. We laid out a blanket of Goldhill Pack's and used it as a picnic mat in one of Cole and Chance's room. We made a colossal mess there and mused over how to order Jackson to clean it up himself. Dinner ended late at ten and we were nice enough to help to fold away the blanket but nothing more. Kyle said he wanted to check out the room that Cole and Chance had not ruined and I went back to the room we shared.

The lights were off but I could sense a presence behind the door. Taking a deep breath, I caught a whiff of Jackson's scent. I focused intently and judged him to be sitting at the very foot of the bed. I took out a well-hidden dagger from my pocket. It was always good to bring weapons wherever I went. Steadying myself I flung the door open and threw the dagger with precise aim. There was a loud cry from Jackson as the dagger whizzed past him. I flicked on the light switch and saw Jackson sprawled on the ground, his face still shocked.

"Y - You missed my ear by an inch," he crowed shakily, using the bed to climb back on his feet. I put on a blank mask for my face. "I know," I said casually, going to take the dagger out of the wall where it had stuck. "I didn't want to kill the Alpha of Goldhill Pack and jeopardise this feeling of cosiness the two packs have." The last part was sarcasm. If anything, our two packs were probably pretty tense.

"Why are you here, Alpha Jackson?" I asked stiffly, slipping the dagger back into my belt. "If there has been a security problem, you could approach Ky -" "I don't want to talk to Kyle," Jackson interrupted. I narrowed my eyes. I didn't take too well to people disrespecting me, especially jerks like the one before me. "Well," I began, "then I cannot help you. I do not want to talk to you outside of the professional range."

Jackson's eyes darkened due to rage. "Damn it, Kim! I'm giving you a chance to come back and be my Luna! I'm accepting you already!" he bellowed, running his hands through his hair. My own eyes turned from violet to black. Jackson stepped back, apparently sensing the irritation rolling off my person. "You are giving me a chance?" I whispered in a deadly voice. "I gave you the chance one year ago. But you rejected me! And now you want me back because - what? I'm a killing machine? I'm beautiful and strong now? I'm in the best pack in the world?" I spat at Jackson's feet. "You only want me because of all the materialistic parts of my life. My pack position. My looks and my skills. You didn't want me when I was a lowly housekeeper made from your hands! Because of you and the Fairs, I was the lowest pack member. And when we found each other, you didn't even bother about my feelings. You simply picked up my heart and threw it to the floor, breaking it like glass. So forget it. And don't even think that I am here staying at this pack for you. Because I'm not. Now get out."

I pointed, my finger shaking, at the door. Jackson didn't leave. I glared at him, tears blurring my vision. Why was my life so messed up? I heard a low growl and I recognised it as Kyle's. His figure stormed into the room and he stood beside me. "Leave, Alpha Jackson," Kyle ordered. I wiped my eyes and looked at Jackson. He was still standing there, dumb as a mule. "No matter, darling," Kyle cooed and Jackson growled, "we'll sleep in the other rooms." I nodded and spun on my heel and left Jackson there.

Jackson's P.O.V.

As I watched Kim's retreating figure, my wolf howled miserably. Our mate had left with another male. How could she? She was my mate but wasn't acting like one. She was supposed to stay faithful to me.

"Have you ever been to her?" my wolf asked, snappishly. I growled back at him. "We are Alphas. I can do whatever I want," I said proudly. My wolf shook his head in despair. "You've got to earn her respect," he nagged and I rolled my eyes, "and it isn't going to come falling from the sky. She is a great Luna. Kim won't take any nonsense or shit, which is why she isn't accepting you." I shook my own head exasperatedly. When would my wolf get it?

"Look, man," I began to my wolf, "I am an Alpha. To become my mate is an honour that most female wolves would die for! Kim just doesn't realise it yet. But she will in due time. We are so close, the bond has to affect her. She'll come running back. So get it into that thick head of -" "No!" my wolf exclaimed, cutting me short. "You get it into that thick head of yours! Kim is happy with another. She loves another man. Currently, you are acting like a real jerk. You are so obnoxious!"

"Shut up!" I commanded my wolf. He paused in his rant. And, like a teenager, he skulked and turned his back to me, walking away to the place beyond my reach. I mentally scoffed at my wolf. He was so stubborn all the time. He just didn't see the trick that Kim had. She was just deviously trying to play for my attention by acting all lovey-dovey with that Kyle character. They didn't have any real chemistry. I could see past her act. Kyle hadn't even marked her yet or slept with her. Sex was the real sign of affection, I believed, just look at me and Monica. I hadn't marked her yet but I would soon. If Kim wants to act all hard-to-get, then two can play the game.

"You mark my words," I said to my wolf, "I won't have to work for Kim's love. I'll have her wrapped around my finger in no time!" And I turned to search for Monica.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, did you enjoy that little insight into Jackson's arrogant mind? Please comment and vote!