Chapter 20 - Bats Out of Hell

This is probably really close to the previous update but I just had to! 

===============================================================================

Chapter 20 - Bats Out of Hell

"Oh, dear god," I breathed at the bloody mass before me. "Oh, Jesus! No!" I jumped over the ten feet of wild grass that stood between me and my protector, brother, Alpha and ex-mate.

"Kyle!" I screamed, gripping the sides of his face and shaking them. "Kyle!" My vision was blurring over and all I saw was an expanse of crimson. He couldn't die. Not now. Not when I had been ignoring him and hadn't had the chance to talk to him properly. How many times had I wished him dead in the halls of the Goldhill Pack House? And now here he was, limp as death itself in my arms. 

Why wasn't I happy that the daddy of my ulcer was gone and beyond my reach? I should have danced around his corpse in celebration. My wolf picked up its shaggy head for a moment. "Because I understand now," she whimpered. I hardly had the strength to ask her what she meant.

I slapped Kyle's cheeks again. Hard enough to fracture a human's bones. "Kyle, please!" I begged him, tears raining on his face. "Don't leave me. Please!" And although I had tried to break him down spiritually, defy his Alpha position, Kyle did not begrudge me one last request.

His eyes fluttered open. The inky green I had thought I would never see again gazed up at me with effort. "Hey, Kimmy," Kyle whispered hoarsely. I cried out in relief and buried my face in his bloodied chest. It was then that I noticed he was naked but I didn't pay attention. I couldn't care less.

"Kyle, you stay strong," I demanded fiercely. "Don't you dare leave me. Just hold on. The pack's coming and their doctor will fix you up. I know he will. He's a human you know? But a better doctor there never was. Just hold on, Kyle. For me." Kyle shook his head weakly and attempted a half-smile. All that came out was a grimace of pain. 

"Kim, there's not much time," he said, fighting for air now. "But I need you to know that...that day...when I told you all those things..." Kyle took in a ragged breath. "They were...were...for a rea...reason." I fought back the tears best as I could and brought his limp hand to my face. "Why, Kyle?" I asked. Kyle smiled, his eyes crinkling as they always did when he was amused. 

"I'm not giving...awa...away the secr...cret," Kyle mumbled, his strength fading before my eyes. I could feel the power in his fingers slowly leaving. "Give you inc...incentive to come s...see me in a few more de-de-decades." I shook my head, trying to block out those words. 

"Kyle, don't talk like that," I whimpered. "You're going to be fine. You're going to live." Kyle shook his head. "Don't lie to me, Kimmy Marie," he joked. "I always know..." I sniffled, keeping back the mucus. "Kyle, I'm sorry," I cried, knowing that he would recognise the sins I was trying to apologise for. He smirked.

"Don't pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living," he quoted Dumbledore and suddenly I was struck by an image of an elderly wizened body lying sprawled before me. But Kyle was young. He wasn't supposed to die now. Not when I wanted him in my life as my Alpha and brother.

"Don't forget," Kyle said, paying no heed to my reassurances. "I...I'll never stop loving y-you." The tears threatened to overflow again. "Kim, one l-last thing. Don...don't trus..." Kyle began gasping for breath, fighting hard to leave me with one piece of advice. But I didn't want one measly sentence. I wanted a lifetime of his support even if he wasn't my mate. 

The arm I was holding up suddenly weighed a lot more than it had a second ago. It took me a thrice before I realised that Kyle was no longer supporting his own hand. "Kyle, don't leave me!" I screamed. "Kyle!" What could I do?