45| Where You Are

Later in the afternoon, while I'm working again in the bookstore, I receive a call from Jake

Later in the afternoon, while I'm working again in the bookstore, I receive a call from Jake. A smile touches my lips as I see his name pop up on my phone screen.

This boy has called me seven times since I entered the store. He's worried that James may visit here again, while he's forced to go to the office to get some files for George.

Right. The moment we started working in the company, we'd expected this kind of sudden and urgent matters, even during weekends.

Jake has been asking me whether I must continue my parttime job. Honestly, I don't have any reason to stay here because of money -- the salary from my internship is more than enough for me to save a lot of it.

I've been thinking of quitting this parttime job, but at least, I want to wait until this month ends.

I pick up the call, and Jake's voice echoes in my ear.

"I'm sorry, I got stuck in the office longer than I thought," he says, guilt present in his voice. "George wanted me to explain some documents before he could hand it to the new SVP. But I'm on my way."

I chuckle. "It's okay, Jake. Take your time."

"Have you finished your shift?"

"Yup. Just in time," I say.

"Great. I'm almost there. I'll arrive in five minutes."

With that, we hang up, and I sigh.

While I'm closing my logbook and preparing to leave, my substitute, Karen, approaches me behind the counter.

She's a college student, just like me.

"Is your boyfriend going to pick you up again?" She smiles.

I nod, smiling back, and receive a wink from her.

"Whoah, how nice. I wish I had one," she jokes.

I put my phone and agenda back into my shoulder bag and say 'bye' to her, heading outside. I push through the door and inhale the fresh air, waiting for Jake, who's supposed to be here in no time.

While I'm pondering in thought about where we're going to have lunch together, someone bumps into me so hard that I almost stumble back, and there's nothing I can do when that person snatches my bag, running off.

My eyes widen in shock as I watch him running across the pavement with my bag.

"Hey!" I shout, anger building up inside me. "Give it back!"

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I feel so mad at the thief, and there's this urgency inside me to get my belonging back no matter what, so I run after him.

My sneakers pound on the ground, hard and fast, as I follow him.

Damn. He may be faster, but I just hope that he won't disappear from my sight just like that.

I may be crazy. I don't know whether I'm doing the right thing or not. This might be dangerous, and I may regret it later, but still, I don't stop my legs.

Ladies, please don't try this at home.

The thief runs into an alley, and I follow suit. When I enter it, I'm already panting. And my breath catches in my throat as I see the person before me.

James.

A scoff leaves his mouth. "Since your father took my money, it just seems right that I take yours." He takes out my wallet and throws my bag onto the ground.

A smirk creeps on his lips as he counts the cash inside my wallet. He then puts it into the back pocket of his jeans.

I feel like punching this man.

You just don't mess with my wallet. Inside it is my money.

I've earned it myself. And I keep a lot of important cards in there too.

"Give it back," I snap, trying to reach the back pocket of his jeans but to no avail. Instead, James pushes me onto the alley wall that my back smacks it.

Now my heart starts to thump hard inside my chest.

"You are quite a trouble, don't you know that?" he hisses, and I swallow. "What should I do with you now, huh?"

Now, I can feel that my body is shaking, my legs getting weak -- they're going to give up on me soon.

What am I doing? I know that being in this circumstance will only bring back my fear, will only bring out the worst of me, will only remind me of how helpless I am.

All because of Tuck.

To my horror, James yanks out a pocket knife, flips it open and places it under my chin.

Oh, God, what have I gotten myself into?

"Listen here," James says, his voice low and cold. "Your money is in my hands, and there's nothing you can do about it." He smirks again. "Now tell me, where is that jerk?" he raises his voice.

I can feel the cold and sharp blade of the knife against my neck, and a soft cry leaves my lips.

"Where is he!?" he hollers.

"I don't know!" I say. "I haven't seen him again."

In fact, seeing Tuck again is the last thing I want to happen.

James steps closer, cornering me against the wall even more, still threatening me with the knife.

"Let's see. There are so many things I can do to make you speak here. Do you want me to do this the rough way? " He grips my chin harshly.

I stare at him in disbelief, wincing in pain.

"Your boyfriend isn't here, lady." He scoffs. "He wouldn't be able to save you again like last time." His voice is filled with disgust. "Where's your knight in shining armor, huh?"

"Right here."

In a matter of second, Jake's fist makes contact with James' face, making him fall onto the cold ground, the knife slipping out from his hand.

Before James can comprehend what's happening, Jake punches him again, leaving him no time to get back on his feet.

Rage skates all over Jake's face as he throws his fist again into James' face, James' blood spattering. Jake lands a harsh kick on James' ribs before gripping his collar.

"J-Jake," I stutter, but looking at Jake's eyes, I know that there's nothing I can do to stop him.

Fear crosses James' expression. He puts his hands up in surrender.

"This--this is nothing personal," he stammers. "This is purely business for me."

Jake's jaw tightens, his fist shaking as it's clenched tightly, ready to punch James again.

"Unfortunately, it's always personal to me," Jake speaks through gritted teeth. "Because you mess with my girl."

And with that said, another blow hits James in the face, and I can only watch in fear as Jake continues to beat him.