17| The Unshed Tears

More days have passed, and the more I think about what happened with Lais, the more I can conclude that there are two possible reasons why she rejected my friendly offer but accepted Liam's.

1. She does have a problem with me, or...

2. She has a thing for Liam.

That's it.

I hope that it's the latter.

Today, we finally have the chance to join a meeting outside with our stakeholders. After the meeting ends, the seniors ask us to have dinner together in a nearby restaurant.

There are six of us. Liam, Sarah, Lais, two men from another department and myself.

After we pick the table, we settle in our seats, Lais sitting down on the empty chair beside me. We order the dishes, and while waiting for our foods to arrive, one of the men from the other department speaks.

"That went well. We can finally breathe now that our shareholders have given us the green light to invest in another overseas oil production area," Rob says. He's a section head in his department and was the one who led the meeting -- the rest of us only came as supports.

"That's a major milestone, Rob." His staff, Christopher, says.

"Yeah. Plenty of works to be done, though. I just can't wait what Vietnam will have in store for us. I'm going to need you to back me up with data, since I'm going to accompany our Deputy to meet the Vietnamese Government next week," he says to Christopher, who nods.

"Going abroad again?" Sarah chirps. "How nice. I wish I could go to South Korea for a business trip more often," she mutters, making some of us laugh.

"Chill, Rob," Liam says. "Don't work too hard. Enjoy your trip there. Have some fun. Explore the country." He smirks.

Rob laughs. "Right. Do you know someone there? Or some places, perhaps?" he asks Liam with humor in his tone.

Judging from where the conversation is going and the tone they're using, I don't need to be a genius to understand what they're talking about.

"Let me just pretend that I didn't hear any of that." Sarah looks away, irritated, shaking her hand away.

Lais, however, looks confused. I don't think that she understands what's really going on, while I'm well aware that there are going to be a lot of jokes and conversations like this once we've entered the working environment, filled with adults.