16| The Space Between Us

The next day has arrived

The next day has arrived. Half of the day passes, and now I'm back at my desk after having lunch together with Lais and the other colleagues.

I'm trying my best not to think that she's only comfortable if we have it in a group -- maybe she really got another appointment yesterday.

I sit down on my chair, turn my head toward her desk and watch as she puts on a lipstick to touch up after the lunch break.

I've seen many pretty girls before, but there's just something about Lais that catch my attention more.

She glances at me, and I'm caught staring at her. I quickly look away, clearing my throat. Damn. I don't want to make an impression that I'm a creepy dude.

As usual, time goes by quietly while we're studying some other documents. Suddenly, her desk phone rings, and she picks it up.

"Hi, Sarah," she speaks through the phone. "Yes, I'm finishing it now and will email it to you once I'm done. You need the information for the next meeting, right?"

Then she goes quiet, listening to Sarah, who's probably giving out some hints.

"Okay, sure. There are just some terms about this agreement that link to the production sharing contract, and I have very little information about that."

I frown. Why didn't she ask me about that topic? She knows that I'm in charge to go through the production sharing contracts. George has clearly told me about that in front of her, inside his office.

Why does she have to put a lot of effort to browse through some other documents while she might be able to save a lot of time if she asked me?

I might be thinking too much, but it seems like she's avoiding me. She always avoids my eyes every time we talk, and I'm always the one who initiate the small talks.

She's not even bothered to start a conversation to warm up to me.

This is really unusual. I've never got this kind of treatment before. Usually, girls are very friendly to me.

Speaking of that, I must say that my reputation as a player is so huge that it might have travelled to the new people within the same network of my high school and university graduates.

Sadly, I can't do anything about stopping that rumors from spreading in here.

Not rumors, anyway. It's the truth. There's a high chance that Lais already knows about it.

Is that what makes her feel uncomfortable? That's silly.

If she thinks that I may be hitting on her, she's crazy.

I let out a soft scoff of disbelief, trying to focus back on my laptop. I can't believe that such a small thing can make me irritated this much.

I think I need to take a break for a while and make some coffee.