Dance With Me

"I can't believe I'm doing this." I grumble out as I walk into Luke's at five in the morning. The sky outside was still dark as I opened the door. The diner was lit by the white lights on the ceiling and all the chairs were on the table neatly.

I set down my bag and coat as I walk into the kitchen. I had expected to see Luke standing there making himself and I some breakfast.

Instead I found my boyfriend standing over the stove with a pan of eggs in hand. He was wearing a black button up shirt along with a pair of jeans.

When Jess noticed me standing there he gives me smile. "Hey."

"Hey?" I question as I walk up next to him. He gives me a quick kiss on the lips before looking back towards the pan of eggs. "What're you doing up?"

He sends me a smirk as I grab the plates for us. "I can't make my girlfriend some breakfast?"

I watch him as he plates the eggs before handing one plate to me. "Not at five in the morning," I retort back as I take a seat at the counter. "Where's Luke?"

Jess put the pan in the sink before grabbing us some utensils. "He's upstairs he'll be down in a minute." He answers as he takes a seat next to me.

"You coming to the dance?" I ask in between mouthfuls of egg. I wasn't going to the dance as a participant, I was going to help Luke out with his coffee stand. He was paying me extra so I couldn't really say no even if I wanted to.

He swallows his food before answering me. "Just thought we could hang out when you're not working."

I nod my head at this. "Yeah, sounds like fun.

Jess points his finger at me. "No dancing." He adds.

"Trust me, that's the last thing I want."

"Glad we're on the same page," he replied before Luke comes trudging down the stairs.

He looks between Jess and I, "Is the coffee ready?"

I roll my eyes at his lack of greeting. "Hello, Cassie how're you today?" I mock as he rolls his eyes.

"How do you like it at five in the morning?" Jess comments, adding to Luke's annoyance.

"My god you two are like Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee," he retorts before heading to check on the coffee.

I scoff at him. "But much better looking," I correct.

"Definitely," Jess agrees before taking our now empty plates to the kitchen.

Once we were all sure that everything was ready we headed out the door. We each had a bag full of coffee beans and flasks to put down at the stand inside for the dancers.

The empty gymnasium was decorated with blue, red and white banners overhead. There was a large disco ball in the centre hung up by a few strings. The bleachers were against the wall in levels of four.

There was what looked like the countdown at the far end along with a podium. The counter was still stuck at twenty four as the marathon didn't start till six. Soon enough, Taylor, Miss Patty and other volunteers had stated to arrive. They all made their final checks around the place.

"Shouldn't I get paid as well?" Jess comments as we set down the stuff at our designated stand.

Luke sends him a glare. "You're not helping, she is," he juts his head in my direction.

I wrap my arms around Jess's torso once I had finished unloading the stuff. "I hate to break it to you but he's right," I give him a fake pout.

"But it's so early in the morning! I should be paid just for standing up this early," He groans as he holds me in his arms.