Peter Rabbit

Sunday was known as the day of rest in the Quinn household. Mainly because the only two residents in the house both thought that six days a week of school and work called for at least a day off.

So when her mother woke her up at half past eight she was more then just confused. She was furious.

"Someone better be dying if you're waking me up this early," I grumbled at her as I pulled the duvet up to cover my head from the bright morning light.

I could hear my mother opening the blinds up before she pulled the warm duvet away from my body. "I know this is not our usual routine, but I need to get down to the inn."

I sat up on my bed and leaned against my headboard. I was about to speak when I realised that my mother was already dressed up in her work clothes with her hair up in a high ponytail. "How long have you been up?"

Maria looked at her daughter through the hair falling in her eyes as she went around the room picking up stray clothes and books on the ground. God knew her daughter had too many books. However according to Cassie, 'you can never have too many books.'

"I've been up since seven-thirty," Maria replied.

I nodded my head as I looked out the window. I could already see people bustling around the small town even at this time in the morning. People never ceased to amaze me. I wonder if Jess is up yet. 'Ew, Cassie,' I mentally scolded myself. You only spoke to the guy once.

Quickly pushing Jess out of my head I began to talk to my mum. "And why are you working on a Sunday? You don't work on Sundays."

"Well, if you must know Michel is sick and I have to cover for him."

Mum works down at the inn next to Michel. Despite what many people think, Michel absolutely loves me. Seeing as I speak french from all the extra lessons at Chilton and share the same hate for most people as he does. Besides working at the reception, sometimes mum would also help Lorelai out as the assistant manager.

I groaned and asked her, "What does that have to do with me?"

Mum looks at me as she picks up one of my many books and lays it out on the table. "We need groceries," she simply says.

I look at my mother with wide eyes. "It's eight in the morning! Why am I buying groceries at eight in the morning?" I exclaim. Doose's Market only opens at half past eight anyways.

"Oh come on Cassie, you know how crazy Babette and Miss Patty are. One time I caught Miss Patty with six bottles of toothpaste. Six bottles! And she lives alone!"

I sigh at my mother, realising that she does have a point. She almost always does. "Fine, I'll be out in twenty minutes."

My mother nears me as I get up from my bed. She tries to pat down my hair as she speaks, "Aw, sweetie. You make it sound like you had a choice." She gives me a teasing smile as I swat her hand away from my face. "The list is on the table, along with some money. I'll be back later, ok?" She starts as she nears the bedroom door.

I give her two thumbs up with a smile. "I know the drill, mum," I confirm with her. We say our goodbyes and I lay back down in the bed. Closing my eyes as I try to get what little shut eye I have left before I have to start the day. The sound of front door slamming close signals that it's time for me to get ready.

Once I was done giving myself a nice cold shower, I quickly got dressed. Before I left my bedroom I made sure to pick up a book from the stack my mother had so neatly kept for me. I didn't look at the cover as I grabbed it.

You see, this was a game I liked to play. I would randomly choose a book from somewhere in my room and slide it in my back pocket. This way when I wanted to read I would be surprised at what I got.