You Really Know Me

"Hey, mum," I dragged out as we both sat on the couch in the living room. We had on the first Rocky movie and we were watching it intently.

My mother sighed before grabbing the remote and pausing the show. "What do you want?" She turns to me expectantly.

I sent her an overly sweet smile. "Right down to business, I like it," I start while her face remains unchanged. "Do you think I can go to New York later?"

She just stared at me for a minute before bursting out in laughter. "I'm sorry, I thought you said that you wanted to go to New York, today." She says in between laughs.

"That is what I said," I tell her calmly.

She scoffs at me. "No." She reaches for the remote but I grab it before she can. "Hey!"

"Please," I beg my mum. "There's a concert and they have a great line up."

"I am not gonna let you go all the way to New York alone."

"Mum," I drag out with a frown. "Please, this is the only chance I got."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Don't be so dramatic, I'm sure they'll play another show."

Before I knew what was happening I sprouted one of what was probably the worst lies ever. "I'm going with Tristan."

"Isn't he in military school?" She asked suspiciously. My mum -for some strange reason- is quite alright with Tristan. Probably cause he never crashed a car with me in it.

"Yeah, but he's on a break for the summer." I lied, man was I good at that. "He wanted to hang out. That's why this is the only chance we'll get."

"He wanted to hang out? In New York?" She repeats. "I don't know, it's so far and we don't know anyone there."

"Tristan has an aunt who lives there, they're really close." I try convincing her. "She's a doctor," I was just pure bullshitting now.

She shakes her head with a sigh. "What time do you have to leave?"

I couldn't believe it, she had actually let me go. "Thank you!" I exclaimed before engulfing her in a hug. "We'll have to be there by seven, so we'll need to leave a few hours earlier."

"Alright, I'll drive you guys." She says as I felt the grin drop off my face.

I wave her suggestion away with my hand. "You don't have to, we already got the tickets for the bus."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "You sure?"

"Positive," I began. "He's taking the bus from Hartford and I'll meet him there."

"Alright, just make sure you tell me before you leave." She gives in as she unpauses the tv. "If I get a note saying 'Went to New York, bye!' I'll ground you till you're fifty."

~~~

When four o'clock came around I was looking in the mirror to make sure I looked decent enough to be seen in New York.

Since it was summer, sweaters and jackets were a big no. So I had settled for a plain white shirt with a pair of dark jeans. I checked my pockets to ensure that I had some spare change and my book. I doubted I'd need the latter but you can never be too prepared.

I heard some noise from outside my window and headed over to open it. I peered out the window to see Jess standing down there with his hands in his pockets. He looked up and gave me a small wave.

"Should I come up?" I heard him ask faintly.

I shake my head as a response. "Just wait there."