Semi Finals: Murphy Nixon

I remember when I woke up. It was two weeks after the accident, nobody was in the room, it was just the non-existent beeping of the machines and I.  My whole body ached, and I’d looked to my left where the machine was. Where I should’ve heard the beeping, and I should’ve taken that as the clue, but it never clicked until I started yelling out, realising exactly what had happened. That’s what made me realise it. Realise that I couldn’t hear anything, and no matter how hard I tried, I never would.

When I had seen the doctors and nurses running into my bedroom, I wondered just how bad the crash really was.

There were three of us left now. Drew, Rose, and I. Drew sat opposite us, quiet, which was quite unusual for him. Then there was Rose who was sitting beside me, leaning her head onto my shoulder. I don’t know how it happened, she just sort of put her head there.

It’s a quarter past one, and I can’t fight it anymore. I wonder if I cross your mind. For me it happens all the time.

“Rose?” I found myself speaking. Maybe it was time I told her the truth. The truth of what really happened that night. We had been friends since before it happened after all, and I hated to admit it, but I needed her. I needed her bad.

And I wonder if I ever cross your mind, for me it happens all the time.

I said I wouldn’t come, but I just need you now.

She lifted up her head, looking at me. “What?” she signed to me, but I never answered, instead, I pulled her up from her position, dragging her along- out of earshot.

“Murphy, what’s going on?” she signed, and I imagined her to be saying it in a voice of confusion, after all, she was giving me strange looks.

“I need to tell you something,” I signed to her.

And I don’t know how I can do without. I just need you now.

“What do you need to tell me?” I read from her lips.

“About Thomas. You’ll have to pay close attention, though. I’m going to be signing everything I say,” I signed. She nodded her head.

“When I told you that it was my parents fault. That was a lie. It was my fault Rose. The two of us, we wanted to get away from my parents. They were having one of their stupid party’s. Thomas said he would drive, since technically, neither of us could drive at the time. And I knew it was wrong, but I agreed anyway. Four about ten minutes of the drive, we were okay, but then we started listening to the radio. We were dancing and singing to the music. He never noticed that he’d veered towards the wrong lane, and nor did I. A truck is what hit us. That’s why the accident was so bad. All I felt then was pain and buzzing noises, as well as the screams of the two of us. How suckish is that? The last thing I heard were Thomas and I’s screams of pain.”

Oh, baby, I need you now.

“You see, it’s my fault Rose. Everything is my fault,” I said aloud, my lip quivering.

“So please, I beg you, forgive me. Forgive me for making such a stupid mistake. Because I need you. I didn’t realise until yesterday when I wanted to protect you with everything I had from the food,” I signed. She stared at me, and I watched as her eyes welled up with water.

“Murphy. It wasn’t your fault, okay?” she signed back, and I shook my head, disagreeing with her.

“Yes it was Rose. And it feels even more of my fault since I got here. Oh, baby, I need you now. I can’t fight it anymore, Rose. I just need you now,” I signed, staring at the floor, not really knowing why I was revealing all these things that I had recently discovered. My pale cheeks appeared in a blush.

Picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor reaching for the phone ‘cause I can’t fight it anymore.

“Murphy, I need you too,” I read from her lips as she stepped closer towards me. I couldn’t fight it anymore, my arms slipped around her small waist, pulling her even closer. I knew, that even if we died, we would die knowing we were real. That we finally realised our true feelings from all along. I wasn’t scared of death. Id wished upon it for a long time, and recently, I had stopped, but that doesn’t mean I started fearing it. Because death was inevitable.

Her lips were centimetres away from my own, and I could feel her warm breath against my neck. I could see deep into her eyes that I had always found pretty. Although her hair was knotted, dirty and her cheeks were caressed with smears of dirt, she was beautiful nonetheless.

It’s a quarter after one I’m all alone and I need you now. Said I wouldn’t call but I’ve lost all control and I need you now.

“Kiss me,” I spoke, in a voice that hopefully didn’t sound weird. My cheeks appeared in a blush once more. I really did need her. It just took me a while to realise it.

I pulled my face in closer to hers, tilting my head to the side, not knowing for sure what I was suppose to do when I actually put my lips on hers.

I felt her lips smash on mine. I could feel the softness of them, as our lips moved together.

And I wonder if I ever cross your mine for me it happens all the time.

Suddenly, Rose pulled away, turning her head behind her. Did I do something wrong then?

“What did I do?” I signed, my heart rate picking up. What if she didn’t even like me back? But she just kissed me, she had to.

“I heard a noise,” I read from her lips. A noise? Don’t tell me Drew was attempting to spy on us.

“Is it Drew?” I signed to her. She shook her head.

“No, it sounds like someone yelling,” I watched from her lips. This time- it was her turn to drag me. We turned around a corner, and when we stopped, I saw what she was talking about. Kyros and Giorgi were fighting each other. They both carried their guns and had them aimed at one another. I could only imagine how bad the yelling would be if they had guns aimed at each other.

I didn’t expect what came next, but Kyros was gripping at his chest, and blood spat out. Did Giorgi just shoot Kyros? My eyes widened, and I inched backwards, scared for what would happen if he saw us. Kyros then fell to the ground. Rose and I watched wearily as his chest became slower and slower until it stopped moving. Kyros was dead.

I looked at Rose, inching further away from Giorgi.

“I can’t fight it anymore. Im scared, Murphy,” she signed.

“Me too, Rose, me too. And if I die, I want you to make sure you get out of here, okay? Maybe get Drew to help you, and just know, that I love you Rose. I always will- no matter what.”

It’s a quarter after one I’m a little drunk and I need you now said I wouldn’t call but I’ve lost all control and I need you now.

Oh, baby, I just need you now.