8) Polka Dots by hepburnettes

Rating- 4/5

Hello Wattpaders!

So the other day I was going through my account and I happened to stumble across a post by hepburnettes about how she had deleted one of her stories because of some hate messages she was receiving. In real life I'd have gone all Kung Fu Panda on them but since this is a magical portal called the internet there wasn't much I could do. That same day strangely enough I stumbled upon one of her new stories called Polka Dots and it, I'm not joking here, blew me away!

hepburnettes you have NOTHING to worry about!

So back to my review. I have read teen lit novels before. There have been bad teen lit novels and the occasional good teen lit novels. This is how they usually go:

Girl: Sarcastic, smart, snarky, gives moderate to highly bitchy comebacks, gets picked on by head cheerleader, manages to entice popular guy by aforementioned bitchy-ness, gets targeted by head cheerleader AGAIN for stealing her man, and becomes popular, changes popular guy for the better. Oh and usually they will be damn good looking yet not know it... plus usually they will have a male best friend that falls for them but gets tossed aside for the popular guy.

Guy: Popular, street smart, inwardly soft, HOT as in model good looking, intelligence will depend upon the plot line (either they will be Albert Einstein or a potato), will know how to fight, gives snarky comebacks, attracted to general level of bitchy-ness, will not take no for an answer, turns out to be perfect... AND THE ABS! More often than not there will be a six pack involved.

General storyline: Boy and girl hate each other, boy and girl are forced to meet and do some group activity together, boy and girl 'coincidentally' meet everywhere, boy and girl insult each other in a really mean way (like seriously their insults are mean! General teasing is fun but not if it's mean), somewhere along the line they fall in lurve (LOL Greg), secrets stand in their way, guy and girl fight and break up, guy and girl get back together.

Polka Dots is nothing like that! Darcy Evers is an eighteen year old working at her family's beach shack. She's funny, hyperactive, loves her family and just generally awesome! She's friends with a bunch of guys who, thank you GOD, aren't secretly pining away for her. She goes to a special school because she can't pay attention for long periods and isn't afraid to ask for help. All in all she is a character I could relate to for several reasons.

She meets mild mannered Miles Walker during a fraternity hazing where she helps him. He's the opposite of the aforementioned clichéd popular guy. He's smart, mild mannered, isn't model good looking, does not have a six pack and is a general harmless puppy. You love him from the get go. So Darcy being the mother chicken she is decides to help this particular adorable chick get through Hell Weeks, several weeks of fraternity hazing initiates complete to get into the all great fraternity. The story line blends seamlessly, the characters are believable and not clichéd and the plot is pretty original!

The only reason I gave this book a 4 out of 5 is because it hasn't been completed yet and I'm waiting on an update (insert sad face). Either ways checking out this book is a must do! I usually do not get into romance novels and especially teen lit ones but since I did you can rest assured it will be worth it!

hepburnettes you have a talent my friend. Don’t EVER stop writing!