PART THIRTY-SEVEN

•••

"This isn't looking good."

Mando looked around at the stormtroopers, his back pressed against Fennec. He shrugged. "I've seen worse. You can get out of here, I owe you from last time."

Fennec shook her head, hoisting her blaster. "We have a deal."

They both shot the troopers around them, one after the next, all of them falling to the ground. Their white armor dotted the ground like snow on a windshield, but this time, they didn't melt.

Mando was hit by a pang of panic and fear and he looked up at the outcropping, spotting a flash of blue and pink. The faint sound of his name, shouted from the rock, carried down to him and he started forward, running towards the mountain.

"Fwega! Fwega!" His voice was hoarse now, but he continued calling for her as he ascended with Fennec. The blue disappeared from the ledge and he urged his legs to move faster.

One of the troopers jetpacked off the ledge and Fennec grappled for her comm, speaking to Boba Fett. "They've got the baby, don't let them get away!"

The other two rose, and Mando crested the top of the mountain. He spotted Fwega's limp figure being carried by one of the troopers and cried out, falling to his knees.

"I have a lock."

"Stop, stop." Mando swatted his hand towards her uselessly. "I don't want them hurt."

He could barely hear Boba Fett's reply before he felt another wave of panic, his hand catching the ground to steady himself. "No!" He screamed, his voice hoarse with sorrow. He punched the ground over and over again, his sobs echoing throughout the pavilion.

"It's them, they're back."

"Who?" Fennec was trying not to react to the Mandalorian's breakdown, but she couldn't help but furrow her eyebrows at his sorrow.

"The Empire, they're back."

"No, that can't be. The Outer Rim is under the jurisdiction of the New Republic."

"This isn't a spice dream, Fennec, I can see them with my own eyes. I'm heading back down."

The Mandalorian closed his eyes and sat on the coarse earth, his helmet in his hands. Tears blurred his vision, white-hot tendrils of anger coursing throughout his body. It had to be her, it had to be the client. She, that was all Mando knew. Whoever she was, she was going to pay. Mando looked at the ground, his fingers tearing up the dry grass. He picked up a small, green bead and stared at it, watching the small letters reflect and glisten in the sunlight. Both of them, Fwega and Grogu, gone. At the same time, both ripped away from him. He wanted to cry, sob, scream, but he could feel nothing in his chest but emptiness, a hole where love once was.

Mando felt a hand on his shoulder. "Your ship."

Yet another thing he had lost. He combed through the wreckage, finding the small ball Grogu loved to play with. He pocketed it, setting it next to the Galdonian bead.

Dank Farrik. He had lost so much today.

He carefully unsheathed the beskar staff from its ashy resting place, walking back up to Fennec and Boba.

"This is all that survived."

They nodded.

"Here, I want you to take a look at something." Boba leaned in, pressing a button on his suit. "My chain code has been encoded in this armor for 25 years. You see, this is me. Boba Fett. This is my father, Jango Fett."

"Your father was a foundling." Mando'a flashed again, Mando reading the ancient language.

"Yes. He even fought in the Mandalorian Civil Wars."

Mando nodded. "Then, that armor belongs to you."

"I appreciate its return."

"Then, our deal is complete." Mando made a move to walk away but Boba set a hand on his shoulder, halting his movements.

"Not quite."

Mando tilted his head at them. "How so?"

"We agreed in exchange for the return of my armor, we will ensure the safety of the child."

"The child's gone."

"Then we are in your debt."

Mando sighed, gripping his staff tighter and fiddling with the beads in his pocket with his other hand.

"Thank you."

The two of them nodded, and they entered Boba Fett's ship.

°°°

"Cara Dune, Marshal of the New Republic. I heard rumors you might have gone legit."

Cara laughed lightly, her feet on the console in front of her. "I wouldn't go that far."

Mando sombered suddenly. "I need your help."

Cara put her boots down on the floor and nodded. "Name it."

"I need you to locate someone in the prison registry. He's an ex-Imperial sharpshooter, last name Mayfeld. Apprehended near the Dilestri system on a derelict prison ship."

"Migs Mayfeld. Serving 50 years in the Karthon Chop Fields for springing a prisoner himself. Accessory to the death of a New Republic officer. Huh. Sounds like a real piece of work. What do you want with him?"

Mando hesitated. "I need to spring him to help me locate Moff Gideon’s light cruiser."

Cara looked at him, considering. "You know how I feel about the Empire. But these stripes... they mean there are rules I need to follow."

"Cara, they have them. They have Fwega and the kid."

Cara felt the air leave her body and she coughed, setting a hand on the controls so she wouldn't fall over. "What?" She croaked out.

"The Empire has the child, and I think they took Fwega too. Or they allied themselves with the client."

Cara stood up. "I know her name."

Mando tilted his helmet. "Who is it." His voice was low now, like this next word would be a prophecy that he need only follow to be reunited with the love of his life.

"Zita."

•••

Hohoho! It's picking up!! My poor babies :'(

Can't wait to show you what Zita has in store for Fwega.... I promise it's nothing good >:)

Hope you enjoyed!! Let me know what you think!