PART FOURTEEN

•••

Luckily for Fwega, Cara Dune had told her the planet she would (probably) be on.

It wasn't like Cara to stay in one spot for long, but now that Mando and Fwega were stirring up trouble, she knew that she couldn't just relax on Sorgan and sip spotchka, especially since she told them they'd find her on Torquá.

It was a planet where you fear the people more than the animals; old mercenaries mostly, looking for some place to keep up their hard-earned skills. A place where no one like Fwega should be left alone at.

But nonetheless, the ship had dropped her and the child in the outer reaches of a small town.

Fwega kicked up the hot sand as she walked. She huffed, tying her jacket around her waist and wrapping the long fabric around her body once again to form a sling where she could somewhat hide the child's identity temporarily. But it wasn't long before her tank top was drenched in sweat, and the child was whining in the heat. Her pink hair was hiked up into a high bun to keep the heat from being trapped in her neck.

She trekked through the town until she came across the small fighting bar she was looking for. It wasn't a sight to behold with ratty, torn up flyers covering the area around the cloth door.

Fwega pulled it aside and avoided the few stares the brought about, instead scanning the crowd for her friend.

"Whaddya doing 'round these parts, luv?" A greasy looking man said, twirling his mustache between his thumb and middle finger. He eyed her up and down hungrily, taking in her body. Her arms were fairly pale due to her lack of sunlight, and the baby sling on the front of her body was unpromising, but he knew an easy catch when he saw one.

"Touch me and I'll skin you alive." Fwega whispered to him, snarling softly. "There won't be a body left to find."

She smirked as she walked away from his shocked gaze, finding the spot where Cara was sitting.

A clack sounded as Fwega set a stein of spotchka in front of Cara.

The disgruntled and fairly bloody woman looked up at her and immediately grinned, standing up to give her a hug.

"Fwega!" She pulled away. "What are you doing here?"

Cara's gaze darkened as she looked around the tavern.

"Where's Mando?"

Fwega sat down carefully, wary of the now calm sack of child on the front of her body, and took a sip out of her own stein. Cara joined her, gulping down the flaming drink.

She wiped her mouth. "You're drinking spotchka?"

"It's water," Fwega replied, sipping again.

"So, Mando. Did he die?"

Fwega laughed.

"Nope. Well, not yet. I'm certain once he brings back the bounty for his new job he'll get away, but they were planning to kill me and the child, so I took off. And don't worry, I sent a coded message to his ship, so he'll know where to find me."

"And he's with you? The child?"

Fwega patted the lump on her front affectionately.

"I made him a little carrier. Just so he won't get lost."

Cara nodded and looked away.

The child poked his head out and wiggled his fingers at the stein of water in Fwega's hands. She lifted it so he could drink some of the liquid.

"So, do you wanna crash at my place?"
Cara asked, leaning forward and placing her elbows on the table. A table was knocked over on the other side of the tavern as someone was knocked out.

"Is that okay with you?"

Cara nodded, laughing as the child spilled some water on itself.

"You're like its mother. Mando and Fwega, defeating the odds to raise their child in a galaxy recovering from war."

"Join them in their adventures with an ex-dropper," Fwega continued, "as they encounter all sorts of different creatures and travel to distant planets."

They both laughed.

°°°

It would be many hours before Mando would join them on Torquá.

Fwega missed him, his ship, everything. His voice, the way he acted around her. Around others he was closed off, rude, but when it came to her, he all but melted. It was cute to watch.

Cara had been halfway through her third fight when he walked in to the tavern.

Everything but the tavern stilled when his eyes found her's.

It was like nothing else mattered in that moment. Her green eyes saw through his helmet and locked on his own, and it was like an asteroid hitting the surface of a planet.

The crowd was pushed aside as he made his way to her, only breaking eye contact to maneuver around the people as he steadily made his way over.

Fwega was laughing at his intensity but humored his eye contact all the same, allowing the child to softly chew on her finger as her attention was diverted.

He stopped in front of her and she stood up, setting the child on the table.

"Do you want to take this outside? Y'know, Mandalorians have a vicious reputation..."

He leaned down and hugged her tightly.

When she laughed and hugged him back, he felt... sore. The worry lifted, fast, and left him to fill the hole in his chest with something else.

But when the child wiggled his fingers at him and Fwega picked it up to join in the hug, he knew he had found something he hadn't anticipated.

A family.

•••

Awwh they're a family.

Hope you enjoyed!!