PART ELEVEN

•••

When the Mandalorian sauntering into the hanger on his dewback, dusk had already fallen on the small town. Frankly, he didn't know what to expect from Toro, but as he jumped down from his ride he his blaster.

He crept through the hallway, alert.

He entered bay three-five stealthily, the only sound being his boots picking up sand as he trudged forward.

Something shuffled in the dark, and he aimed his gun at it.

A womp rat.

From the interior of his ship a figure approached, but he didn't walk forward to greet it. His blaster aimed, ready to fire.

Fwega's scared face appeared first, then the baby, held in Toro's arm. His other hand wrapped around the back of Fwega's throat, daring her to try and escape. Peli stood beside her, one hand in her's for support.

"Took you long enough, Mando."

Mando only had eyes for Fwega as a tear ran down her cheek.

Toro's grip tightened.

"Looks like I'm calling the shots now, huh, partner?" Toro smirked at him, "Drop you blaster and raise 'em."

Mando wanted to shoot, but he couldn't get a clear shot without hitting the child or Fwega, and he knew he couldn't forgive himself if he hurt either. His blaster found the sandy ground and he raised his arms over his head.

Toro shoved Peli forward.

"Cuff him."

She grunted and walked to the Mandalorian, standing behind him, and pretended to cuff him.

"You're a Guild traitor, Mando. And I'm willing to bet that this here is the target you helped escape," he held up the child. His breath was hot as he turned towards Fwega. "And I bet you're just as valuable. How often do I get a gorgeous lady to fall right into my grasp." He planted a kiss on her neck.

She twisted, kicking him right where the sun doesn't shine before Mando let off the flash grenade. Fwega dropped to the ground, blinded. Mando was the one who recovered first, shooting Toro in the chest.

Fwega blinked from her spot on the ramp, wiping her eyes, trying to get rid of the black spots in her vision.

"Stay back!" Mando warned Peli before crouching down beside Fwega. She looked up at him, and he pulled her onto his lap.

"Gotta get it." Peli paused. "Where is it?"

She found it and cooed, the child giggling back at her.

"Are you alright?" Fwega asked him, a hand on his helmet.

He chuckled.

"I should be asking you that. Can you see?"

She nodded.

"Thank you," she whispered. Mando cocked his head.

"For what?"

"For everything." She kissed the front of his helmet and he sighed.

"So, I take it you didn't get paid?" Peli asked disappointedly. Fwega slowly sat up, and the woman handed the child back to her.

Mando walked forward, depositing a hefty amount of credits in Peli's open hand. Her eyes widened.

"That'll, umm, that'll cover it," she reassured the Mandalorian, who breezed by her to return back to his ship. She watched him go, waving to Fwega and the child as they entered the underbelly of the ship as well. Peli yelled at her droids to help the ship get moving, and watched as they disappeared, weighing the amount of tokens now nestled in her jacket pocket.

What a strange trio.

Sitting in one of the two seats behind Mando (and setting the child in the other), Fwega placed her hands behind her head and leaned back comfortably.

"What's next, Din?"

He flicked a few switches and turned to face her.

"I have an old acquaintance that has a job for me."

Fwega glanced from the windshield to him.

"For you?"

"He doesn't know about you. Or the child."

"And lemme guess, you're planning to keep it that way."

"Good guess." He turned back to the controls.

Fwega rubbed her face with her hands.

"You can't keep hiding me away, you know that?"

"I don't know who we're dealing with. As soon as I get the money and complete the job, we can go wherever you want. Unless something else comes up."

Fwega rolled her eyes.

"Something always does."

He turned to face her again.

"I'm sorry, Fwega. I'm not used to having a partner, both job wise and person wise. I'm trying here, I really am."

She smiled at him.

"Take your helmet off."

He cocked his head at her and she closed her eyes before he could reply.
Mando sighed and lifted it off his face, guiding Fwega's hands to rest on either side of his jaw.

She leaned forward, and he himself closed his eyes, feeling her hands.

Her lips found his cheek.

•••

Lol sorry kinda a sucky chapter but here we are! Thriving! Just finished my sixth surgery and feeling great, wanted to power this out for you guys.

Hope you enjoyed!!