Chapter Five

Ravenpaw sat before a large pool of water. A small waterfall fell into it and the stars seemed to fall into the silvery water. Ravenpaw gaped at it.  Four other cats sat beside her mentor.

   "I present this young apprentice as Windclan's new medicince cat apprentice! But first, the ceremony. Ravenpaw, do you promise not to get involved in Clan struggles, and to seek Starclan? And to let them walk in your dreams as you become a full medicine cat?"

   "I do." she breathed.

   "Then I annouce you as my apprentice! Now touch your nose to the water and fall asleep." Daisyear crouched down, and so did the others. She did what she asked to. When her nose met the water, she shivered from the power that seeped from it. Then her eyes closed and everything went black.

   "Welcome, young apprentice." A mottled gray tom stepped from the shining trees and mist. "I am Krestleflight, Windclan's old medicine cat. I died in the Great Battle with the Dark Forest, serving my Clan to the end when one of them killed me while I was treating a cat's wounds."

   "I am honored." She remembered what Daisyear told her and bowed her head to the Starclan warrior.

   He purred. "You don't have to do that, Ravenpaw. I am only here to warn you."

   "Warn me?" she popped her head up. "Are you sure to warn me about something? Not Daisyear?"

   "Quite sure, Ravenpaw." He leaned in. "The end is coming. The Clans will part and Starclan can do nothing."

   "What?!" Ravenpaw backed up. "The end of the Clans?"

   He sighed heavily. "We aren't sure. When lightning strikes, it will tear apart four trees and the warrior code will vanish. But we aren't sure when this will happen."

   Ravenpaw's hackles raised from fear. "But- but why tell me? I am only an apprentice!"

   "Don't you get it, Ravenpaw?" Krestleflight took a step towards her. "You have to stop the Clans from splitting! Alone."

   Her ears flattened and she walked backwards as he began to fade. "Remember, Ravenpaw. Only you can stop it." He disappeared and Ravenpaw woke. She snapped her head up beside the Moonpool. No other cat was awake, but the medicine cat from Thunderclan was stirring. He lifted up his orange head.

   He yawned. "When did you get up, Ravenpaw? Did you have a dream?"

   She was shaking as she nodded. She forced herself to calm down. "Yes. A Starclan medicine cat visited me. But nothing special, though. Only to welcome me."

   "That's good." he mewed sleepily. The others stirred and lifted their heads. Daisyear was the last to wake. She looked over at Ravenpaw and yawned.

   "No dream last night. You?" she asked.

    Ravenpaw began to speak, but Daisyear interrupted her. "We don't speak of our dreams here." she whispered. "Tell me at camp if you need to, okay?"

   "Okay." Ravenpaw followed them down the hill. She joined the other medicine cat apprentice, Larkpaw. "Is it great being a medicine cat apprentice?"

   "Oh yes!" she nodded eagerly. "The greatest thing in the world! Have you had a dream yet? I haven't. I really want to though. Well.... maybe the first time I came here. Did you like your dream?"

   Ravenpaw reliped to stop the chattery she-cat. "Yes, I did have a dream. A Starclan medicine cat visited me. It was pretty cool." Larkpaw nodded understandingly.

   "Starclan is wonderful, isn't it? The best thing in the whole world."

   "Is she talking your ears off, Ravenpaw?" a gray tabby she-cat mewed. Her name was Lakewater and was the Shadowclan medicine cat. "That's why she was named Larkpaw!"