Chapter Three

Eventually Ravenkit grew over her mother's death. But every night she thinks about her. Every night she curls up next to Rabbitfoot and her kits. She didn't like the queen but she was the only cat to take care of her. Until she was made an apprentice medicine cat. 

   "You will be known as Ravenpaw until you recieve your full medicine cat name. Your mentor will be Daisyear." Fernstar was saying. Rabbitear stepped forward, not surprised to have her as her apprentice. She bent down to touch noses with the black she-cat. Ravenpaw looked down at her Clanmates from the rock. They looked much smaller than they really were.

   Daisyear jumped down and so did Flamepaw, Ravenpaw, and Blacknight. Fernstar had made Flamepaw Blacknight's apprentices because he thinks it will make Flamepaw a better warrior. Ravenkit was glad she didn't get him as a mentor. Ravenpaw turned to her new mentor.

   "Can we explore now?" Ravenpaw begged. "You said so!"

   "Actually, I said when you're an apprentice. But I guess we can go now along with Blacknight and Flamepaw." Daisyear trotted over to them. "Mind if we tag along with you two?"

   "I don't care." Blacknight growled. 

   Daisyear flattened her large ears. "You don't have to be rude! Come on, Ravenpaw." Daisyear walked out of the camp. WInd blew hard in Ravenpaw's ears. It was windier out in the open more than in cozy camp.

   "There is the Riverclan border." Blacknight told them. "Riverclan are heavy and big cats, so beware of that in battle, Flamepaw. Windclan cats rely on their agility and swiftness, so it will be better if you are faster than them." They walked up the hill and peered down. Ravenpaw's eyes widened. A huge expase of water sat at the bottom a little ways down the hill. Waves gleamed in the midafternoon sunlight. Ravenpaw was tempted to run down there and splash in the water, but she knew she'd get in trouble.

   "And there's the lake." Daisyear mewed. "It's marvelous everytime you look at it. Part of our border is a river that flows into the lake."

   "Let's go look at it. It's Thunderclan's border." Blacknight led the cats down the hill in the oposite direction of the lake.

   Ravenpaw heard a loud rumbling noise. She looked to see a river flowing down the hiilside into the lake. Small rocks crossed over it, making it a good bridge. And it never stopped all the way down.

   "Thunderclan is stong but arrogant. While they boast about their victory, you attack. But they are known to climb trees and attack from above." Blacknight growled.

   "Above?" Flamepaw gasped.

   "From the tree tops." Blacknight started telling Flamepaw of the stories of Thunderclan first attacking Shadowclan from the treetops. Diasyear interrupted them.

   "Me and Ravenpaw are going to search for herbs. We will make it back to camp by ourselves." Daisyear told him. Flamepaw cast his sister a longing glance before she turned and followed her mentor up the hill again.

   "No need to learn about fighting yet." Daisyear commented.

   "Yet?" she repeated.

   "All medicine cats have to learn defense moves some. But only to defend, not to attack." Daisyear looked sideways at Ravenpaw.

   "No way!" she mewed. 

   "Good. I will show you where the catmint grows. Only us out of the other two Clans have it. Besides Thunderclan." She stopped at a fallen log. Ravenpaw could smell the wonderful scent of catmint nearby. Daisyear walked around the stump and looked at a large clump of the stuff. It was lush and green, fresh in the green-leaf ground. Daisyear bent down to sniff it, and Ravenpaw copied her.