Chapter Six

Ravenpaw paced around the den. She could hear faint sounds of the battle now and then. One Riverclan warrior even tried to attack the camp by herself, but one of the warriors of Windclan chased her off with a few scars. Ravenpaw's claws dug into the ground. She thought about her brother and if he was okay. She tried to think of what it was like in a battle. Loud, lots of action everywhere, blood, cats screeching, wounded cats everywhere. Ravenpaw shuddered and hoped that he got out alright. She watched Daisyear treat Echoheart's paw. He winced as she trickled juice into his wound.

   Ravenpaw wandered over to them. "Do you need any help, Daisyear?"

   "No, I'm fine dear." Daisyear turned back to her patient. Ravenpaw hoped she would've said yes so that she could take her mind off her brother. She walked into the medicine cat den. She grabbed some marigold and walked out. She set them on the ground in front of her mentor and the tom.

   "I saw you needed these, Daisyear." she mewed.

   "Yes, thanks Ravenpaw." She chewed some of the herb up and pasted it onto Echoheart's paw. Again he winced. "Now stay off that until it's healed, or it can become infected. Maybe tomorrow you can started huning again." she told him.

   "But why can't I fight?" he complained.

   "They have enough cats. And as I hear it's over now." 

   Ravenpaw listened. Everything on the moor was quiet as a fox. She turned and raced out of the camp. She spotted them limping up the hill. Ravenpaw raced down the hill to help her Clanmates. She immediatly joined Flamepaw. He was fine except for a gash in his hind leg.

   "Are you alright?" she fussed. "It looks swollen! You need-"

   "Just wait a moment, alright?" he snapped. Ravenpaw recoiled at his anger. His eyes softened as he realized how he sounded. "Sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I just need to talk to Molepaw for a moment." Ravenpaw nodded and let her brother go. She watched him walk up to the pretty black and white she-cat and talk quietly to her. Her shoulders slumped. She looked at Fernstar. He was limping. She hurried over to him.

   "Did you win?" she asked.

   "Sure did. Boy, did we teach those fox-hearts a lesson. You should've been there, Ravenpaw. You would've made a good warrior." He turned his soft gaze on her.

   "No thanks. I love, love, love being a medicine cat!" Ravenpaw leaned against him. "Lean on me and I'll help you up the hill." Fernstar didn't protest against her offer. She helped him up to the camp and the Clan followed slowly behind. As soon as they walked through the camp, Daisyear set to work.

   "Ravenpaw, get marigold for his wound!" she ordered. When that was done she would order, "No no no! Get poppy seeds, not those seeds! Get a hold of your senses, Ravenpaw!"

   Ravenpaw rushed from cat to cat, treating all their major wounds. Even the smallest scratches. When she was done, she shook her head. It was busy in the clearing with many cats walking around, fetching prey. She decided to eat a vole for herself. She padded over and picked a small brown vole. She settled on the ground to eat.

   As she ate she watched Flamepaw talk to Molepaw. Whenever Flamepaw said something funny, she would purr cutely. Ravenpaw wondered if her brother liked the she-cat. But she watched Snakepaw trot up to the two with an angry look on his face. 

   "Hey!" he growled. Ravenpaw inched forward to hear their conversation better. "Flamepaw!" The orange tom slowly turned around. 

   "Yes?" he asked slowly.

   "What are you two doing?" Snakepaw demanded. Molepaw and Flamepaw exchanged a look. "I said, what are you doing?"

   "Talking to Molepaw. Is that a problem?" Flamepaw stepped up. He was nearly as big as the Snakepaw, who was older. Flamepaw's muscles were large under his orange fur. Ravenpaw swalloed fast. She had to stop this.

   "You bet it is." Snakepaw leaned in and growled. "I am with Molepaw! Get away from her."

   "I am nobodys!" Molepaw tried to put in. But the two angry toms ignored her.

   "What are you going to do about it?" Flamepaw hissed threatingly in his face. Ravenpaw raced over to them and slipped between the two toms. Suddenly Snakepaw struck out and hit Ravenpaw in the eye. She yowled in pain and backed away. Then Flamepaw jumped on Snakepaw screeching in rage. Molepaw rushed over to Ravenpaw and looked at her eye in shock.

   "Don't you hurt my sister!" he hissed. Blacknight came rushing over. He pried the two toms apart, growling.

   "What in Starclan's name are you two doing?" he demanded. "Attacking each other? Are you two mad?" Blacknight hissed at Flamepaw and Snakepaw. Snakepaw flattened his ears and took a step backwards. 

   Fernstar came rushing up to them as fast as he could limp. "What is the matter?" Lilypool came after him, meowing about how he had to stay off his paws.

   "These two rabbit-brains attacked each other with their claws!" Blacknight hissed. "They nearly tore each other apart!"

    Lilypool glared at them, and then looked at Ravenpaw and Molepaw. "Do you care to explain, Molepaw?" 

    Molepaw stared at the ground uncertainly. "Well... these two got angry for some reason then Snakepaw.... Snakepaw hit Ravenpaw in the eye. Flamepaw got mad then attacked Snakepaw. I- I tried to get them to stop, but they wouldn't stop arguing." Molepaw's voice got tight. "It's my fault Ravenpaw got hurt."

   "No, it was this idiot's fault!" Flamepaw turned to Snakepaw. "He attacked my sister!"

   Blacknight was full-out mad now. He glared dangerously at Snakepaw. "Again I find you attacking Ravenpaw! Another moon of ticks for the elders. You too, Flamepaw. I won't stand any more of this nonsense from you two." 

    "Let's get Ravenpaw to Daisyear." Lilypool led the black she-cat into the den. Ravenpaw's eyes throbbed in pain. Daisyear gasped when she saw her apprentice. She rushed over and looked at her eye.

   "What happened?" she asked. Lilypool explained the fight to her. Daisyear narrowed her eyes.

   "Snakepaw was always too rough." Daisyear started to chew some leaves. Then she put them onto her eye, Ravenpaw felt relief come to her sore eye. It felt like there was a thorn in before the poulitce.

    "When is he going to be a warrior?" Daisyear asked. 

    "A moon or so." Lilypool shrugged. "Flamepaw and Snakepaw are on tick duty for this whole moon, and I caught Blacknight saying that neither of them are going to the next Gathering. Echoheart came rushing in on his three paws.

    "Is it true what I heard about Snakepaw?" His eyes were angry.

   "Yes. They are with Blacknight now." Lilypool followed the tom out. Daisyear sighed at her apprentice.

   "How is it that you are always the main one hurt in these fights?" she asked. "Let me look again." She gently put a paw on her swollen eye. 

   "It hurts real bad. What did you use on it?" Ravenpaw sniffed the herb.

    "Celandine." she replied. "Sooths damadged eyes."

   Ravenpaw got a rush of dread in her chest. "I- I'm not going to be....blind, am I?"

    Daisyear purred comfortingly. "Of course not! You just got a bad poke. We have to make sure that no dirt gets into it though, or else it could cause the dirt to rub against your eye and make it super sore." She walked over and got some cobwebs left over. She put it gently onto her eye. Ravenpaw winced. 

   "Just in case." Daisyear walked out of the den. "I have to check on the others. Stay in here, please."

   Ravenpaw sat in her nest. She sighed and stared at the herbs. Thoughts of Molepaw and Flamepaw came into her mind. If they became mates when they were warriors, they might have kits. Pleasure came into her heart when realized she would have neices and nephews.

   Then she remembered she could never have kits of her own. She was a medicine cat, and one of the warrior codes was that medicine cats weren't allowed to have kits. She would never have a mate, either. Medicine was all she had.

   "No kits..." she mewed softly. That was the only downside of being a medicine cat.