Chapter Nine

"Are we going to be trapped in here?" Ravenpaw fretted.

   "Nonsense." Daisyear meowed. "Stop worrying her, Mapleleaf!" The tom only shrugged. Daisyear walked over to her nest and curled up.

   "Might as well get some sleep." Daisyear sighed. As she drifted off to sleep, Ravenpaw looked around the den. She noticed snow was coming. Ravenpaw was confused for a moment, until she remembered the hole in the back wall. She padded over to it and stuffed some leaves into it. It kept the snow out and the heat in. Ravenpaw shuddered and walked into her nest. It was lined with fresh moss. She settled down and layed her head on her paws. But no sleep came. 

   Ravenpaw looked around. The other three cats were alseep. Only she was awake. She got up and padded over to the entrance. She moved the door with great difficulty. Snow was indeed piling up in front of the door. Dangerously high. Ravenpaw moved the door back and stepped into the snow. It was up to her belly. She jumped from bank to bank until she reached the elder's den. When she got inside she found them both awake and looking at her.

   "What's the matter with outside?" asked Vinescar. "I can hear howling."

   "It's only the wind." Ravenpaw replied. "It's blizzarding outside, so I came to check on you guys."

   "Blizzarding on our first snow?" rasped Frogclaw. "That's unusual. Are you sure it's blizzarding outside?"

   Ravenpaw nodded. "Postitive. I just came by to see if you are alright. Do you need some prey or anything?" Frogclaw looked at Vinescar and nodded.

   "A rabbit will be nice. Be careful out there!" Vinescar warned her. Ravenpaw hopped back into the wind and snow. She pushed through the blizzard until she reached the prey pile. It was covered in snow, but was still  there. She grabbed a rabbit for the elders and another for the nursery for when she stopped by after. She dropped the rabbit outside and carried the other one in. She set it down in front of their paws.

   "I have to go now." Ravenpaw told them. "I have to go check on the nursery."

   "May Starclan light your path." Frogclaw mewed.

   Ravenpaw dipped her head and walked out. She grasped the rabbit in her jaws and started trudging through the snow. The rabbit made the trip worse with the weight of it. Ravenpaw struggled to carry it inside. When she did, the kits all raced over to the prey.

   "Is this for us?" squealed Wolfkit.

   "You guys, Sarah, and Rabbitfoot." Ravenpaw looked at Rabbitfoot. "Sorry I couldn't bring more. This is all I could carry, I'm afraid. The snow is terribly strong out there."

   "It's fine. We can all share." She took the rabbit from the kits' claws. "Sarah? Would you like some?" The new queen lifted her head. Her eyes lit up at the sight of the rabbit.

    "Please." Sarah mewed. Rabbitfoot tore half the rabbit and gave it to her. The other half she shared with her kits and herself. Ravenpaw stepped towards the door.

   "I have to go now. I hope that was enough to eat." Ravenpaw mewed.

    "It was plenty! Good-bye now!" Rabbitfoot turned back to the kits. Ravenpaw turned and headed out of the cave. The snow had almost stopped, but the snow on the ground was high as when she left.

   Ravenpaw walked into the medicine cat den. They were all still sleeping. She decieded to join them. She curled up and fell asleep on her moss.

     Ravenpaw woke to Fernstar yowling on the Tall Rock.

   "I annouce you Wolfpaw, Cloudpaw, and Birdpaw of Windclan." Fernstar finished. The Clan cheered loudly for the new apprentices. Ravenpaw walked out of the den and into the snow. She joined in and yowled their names.