3

"How did it go? Did you get it? And since when does Mateo have a new car?" She instantly buries me in questions, making me smile as to how much she cares.

"I got it!" I squeal and she hugs me, squealing with me, like we're both some whiny high school girls, who just found out someone has a crush on them.

She jumps slightly while hugging me, making me chuckle. "And the car isn't Mateo's" I choke out as she's still hugging me tightly. She freezes, moving away, giving me a look which says 'tell me more.'

We walk to the kitchen table, where I tell her everything that had happened today, leaving out some minor details - the moaning coming out one of the offices.

"So you haven't even met Mr. De Luca?" She asks, sipping some wine she poured us both, to celebrate - it's my first real job, so you could say she's really happy about it.

I shake my head, "I told you, his son interviewed me, bought me dinner and then drove me home, since Mateo failed to show up."

She sighs, due to Mateo's carelessness. "You should talk to him about it," she fixes her hair, taking another sip out of the glass.

Nodding, I know she's right. But I can't right now. I'm too angry and would end up saying some things I'd regret. Were it not for my misfortune, the doorbell wouldn't ring, interrupting our conversation.

"I'll get it," I murmur to my mom, standing up from the table. She flicks her wrist, telling me to go, supporting her head with the other hand.

Opening the door, I see Mateo stood in front of me, a guilty smile plastered on his face. He's shifting on his feet, regret washing over his face, as he looks down, not knowing what to say or do.

Rage fills my whole body. Knowing I have to stay calm before I say or do something I'll regret later, I take a deep breath. Closing my eyes, I try to focus, try to get into my happy place, so I don't lose my marbles.

Think about mom, I say to myself. Or that time we went to the park when I was 10.

"I don't want to see you right now," I sigh, closing the door on him. It's been a good day, I don't want to ruin it by this fight, that's just waiting to happen.

He quickly stops me, his hand on the door, preventing me to close it, "wait!"

I open it again, meeting his nervous face once more. He gulps, fixing his jacket, a hand still on the door, so I wouldn't abruptly close it on him. Clearing his throat, he starts: "I really am sorry. This one guy kept on showing me new games and I lost track of time."

"I called you like ten times. Let me be angry with you, Mateo. This doesn't mean it's over, I just need some time to think it over and then we'll talk," I sigh, trying to stay calm and not freak out on him. I know that's the last thing we need right now.

"Or you could just- " he tries making up a lame excuse but I'm not hearing any of it. With that, I try closing the door on him, but his hand stops it once more.

"Don't go closing the door on me. I'm not done with you yet!" He says that particular line on purpose, knowing what it means to me. Knowing how much it hurts me.

Suddenly, rage fills my whole body, my breathing accelerating. I feel like I'm about to black out. And when that happens, nothing that would occur next, wouldn't be my concern. But he looks like he wants it, by saying all these things to me.

A familiar car stops in front of my house, familiar face stepping out of it. Quickly he stops, furrowing his eyebrows as he sees my distraught face and an angry Mateo in front of me, his hand on the door.