1

*1 year ago*

Lilith

"Honey, you should get going if you want to be on time for your interview!" My mom opens the door, peeking her head through the crack with blonde hair dangling down her shoulders.

I look at her in the mirror, as I'm checking myself out. She smiles, the creases next to her eyes showing when she sees me. I'm wearing a tight beige turtleneck under a black blazer, ending right where my butt is, and some loose black pants. Nothing too much.

"Oh, Lily, you look great," she breathes, looking at me still as she walks in the room. I smile at her, turning around to face her.

"And I love the jewelry," she compliments me some more, making my smile wider, while fixing my glasses.

A long silver necklace with a tiny bar at the end is hanging down my neck, complimented by a few rings wrapped around my fingers. I'm also wearing a pair of simple bar-dangling earrings and a silver bracelet clinging around my wrist, which looks a lot like the Kelly bracelet.

"Thank you, mom," I offer her a genuine smile, hugging her tightly. I love her so much. She pushes me to become the woman I want to be.

A honking sound echoes from outside of the house, signalling that my boyfriend is here to pick me up.

"Gotta go," I peck my mom's cheek, as I grab my purse and run out of the room. Slipping some beige heels on, I stumble out the door, where I'm met with Mateo, waiting in the car.

"Kill 'em!" My mom calls for me, as I'm getting in the car. Smiling, I give her a thumbs-up before closing the car door.

Sighing, I turn around to face Mateo, who smiles, kissing me softly. The butterflies erupt in my stomach even after four years of being with him.

Offering him a wide smile when he moves back, "hi."

"Are you nervous?" He gently pats my thigh.

I'm sweating blood.

"A bit, yeah," I breathe, impatiently waiting for him to start the car. He notices my angst, pressing on the gas petal.

My dad somehow managed to get me an interview to work for De Luca Hotels and Casinos. I mean, I'm not going to be working at the actual Hotels and Casinos. I'm applying to be Mr. De Luca's assistant/secretary. So this job will be including a lot of travelling, since he has many buildings under his name that need attention, new deals and so on.

I know Mateo doesn't really like the idea of me working there, since I'll be away most of the time. But it's paid really well for a secretary and I could use the money.

He's been trying to convince me not to go, saying there's a lot of other jobs with equal, if not higher pay. I agree, but I doubt I'd get such a high-paying job at the age of 20. This is a great way to kick-start my career. Maybe get enough money to go to college in a year or so.

"So you're set on wanting to work there?" He starts the conversation again, making me sigh.

How many more times will we have to go through this?

"Yes Mateo, I thought we've talked about this enough," I look out the window, annoyed with him. I'm not missing out on such a great opportunity because of a guy.

I know, I know. He's not just some guy, but I don't think I'll quit a job just because my partner wants me to. It's dumb and selfish of him. I can't do everything he asks me to, as I already do too much for him.