Chapter 29 - Human Nature

Jim
I'm fed up with waiting around, my brain positively itches for something to occupy it. I know that it's stupid and risky but I don't fight my impulse to go to Baker Street. If I'm right, and I usually am, the government will have figured out that my security is on high alert ans won't act. I most certainly will not be welcome but there isn't much that can be done to stop me. 

On my way there I notice CCTV cameras turning to look at me, doubtlessly controlled by Mycroft. I stop off at Burger King on the way, remembering how much Angel loves it - maybe, I think a little naively, she can have it when she wakes up... Before I kill her of course. 

It is too easy to forget her betrayal and, no matter how badly I may want to, I have to carry out the deed. This is part of my motivation for leaving so quickly, it gives me less time to talk myself out of it - as inevitably I will. 

Sherlock
Locked out of my house and restrained by Toni, I can't get into my flat. John's whimpers have finally faded away and an eerie silence, broken only by the ever present humming of city life, has fallen over the house. Mrs Hudson faithfully refills my mug of tea periodically as I sit and absentmindedly sip. My innate boredom seems endless.

What feels like it must have been at least a year later, I hear an unwelcome sound. That of a lock being expertly picked. I make my way to the frontdoor, picking up with pistol John and I keep there, and wait for the silhouette of our house breaker to emerge. I must say that it comes as a shock to see the all to familiar outline of Jim Moriarty against the door. 

I raise my gun in preparation. As he eases open the door, his head raises. He seems mildly surprised to see me there but his eyes are so dark and empty that it a struggle to find any emotion in them at all.
"I strongly suggest that you leave before I shoot you." I threaten, somewhat convincingly.
"Oh Sherlock, ever the fool. If I was supposed to be dead you brother would have killed me. I clear that I'm meant to be here." He sighs tiredly. Irritably I lower my gun. 
"Do you have an appointment?" I joke, attempting to conceal how uncomfortable I really am. I am ignored.
"Can I see her?" Jim asks, his voice cracking. His open vulnerability is something I never expected to see. He treats me now more like a friend than his nemesis. 
"Um sorry, no. She's being operated on - they won't let anybody in." These pleasantries seem so unnatural that my throat dries up. "Look, uh, wait there." I tell him.

Mycroft
Sherlock, what are you doing? Can't you see that he's bluffing? Don't be an idiot...

I'm unable to communicate with my brother, Moriarty's men would find out. Helpless again, and his common sense seems to have gone out the window, unfortunately. It seems that nothing can go right. Sherlock just needs to get him out. Get him out! But no, he's being utterly stupid and is likely to get himself killed. Grief has driven him to madness. 

I will the surgeons to hurry up and save Angel, we all need it. There it not one person who has benefited from this tragedy and right now, it doesn't look like our luck is improving. Her blood loss is become critical and more is being brought over from St Barts as we speak but the bullet s still embedded in her. 

Of course death is imminent for everyone, but human nature strives to delay death for as long as is possible. It is those few anomalies who fight that instinct and seek to destruct instead who will be our downfall. 

My job, to eliminate them and right now that doesn't seem like as much fun as it used to.

***

Sorry it;s so short and late. School is becoming too busy...