Chapter 22 - Window Jumping

Mycroft
Angel and the Prime Minister leave the room, without the hat. It is sitting behind the table, in plain sight. I'd tried to tell them before they left but something was blocking the signal. What a nightmare! They hurry down the corridor, Angel's hand on her bag which contains her gun.

The ring of my mobile breaks my eyes from the CCTV. I pick up, against my better judgment. Before I have the chance to speak,
"Toni Hawkes has escaped and appears to be on her way to the Houses of Parliament." Someone, I don't know who says. I start to ask how but stop myself, it hardly matters.

My heart leaps into my throat, we've already had to hiccup too many so far. If Toni gets here it could be a total disaster.
"Well get her, then." I order. "Prioritise recapturing her."
"Yes Mr Holmes." I hang up and bury my head in my hands in total despair. Shaking it off, I request some more coffee. This is going to be a long day. 

"Mycroft, sir? We've managed to get through the virus, you can talk to Agent Dirks now." My man says. I pick up the microphone.

"Angel, Angel? Scratch your head if you can hear me." I order. When she does so I do a massive sigh of relief. 
"There's been something blocking the signal so we've not been able to contact you for ages." I explain. "There's a problem, though. Toni's escaped." Angel actually stops in her tracks. You have to catch her, she could ruin everything. She signs. The PM, having only just noticed that Angel has stopped asks her something, I don't hear what. She shakes her head and walks on. 

Angel
I try my best to put Toni out of my mind and concentrate on the task in hand. Finding a place to hide until Mycroft's men can arrest as many of the assassins as possible. My first step is to get out of the building and across the river. Once I've made it there, it should be relatively simple. 

The two of us, me and David Cameron, walk quickly on for a few seconds before we hear the sound of running feet. Mycroft yells into my ear.
"RUN, RUN. GET AWAY!" I repeat the introduction to the Prime Minister and  we sprint as fast as we can. I hear him gaining on us. Although we're nearly out of the building, by the time we'd be able to get to it he'd have caught us. I dive into a room, pulling him Cameron with me. Grabbing a chair, I wedge it under the door handle. I see the window and, knowing that we are on the ground floor hope that we are on the side facing away from the river. When I look out I find the answer, no such luck.

"Can you swim?" I ask urgently. 
"Yes, of course I can, why?" He says. I wrench open the window.
"You see those steps going up from the Thames? I need you to swim to those, someone'll meet you there and take you somewhere safe." 
"What about you? You have to come to!" He declares. I shake my head.
"Don't worry about me," The door rattles, "GO!" I shout, practically pushing him out of the window.

He jumps. Before I can turn to look, the assassin bursts in. He looks out the open window and grunts in annoyance. His target gone, he resorts to attacking me instead. He throws himself at me, hands outstretched. As if slow motion, I reach into my bag to grab my gun and, in the nick of time, pull the trigger on him. 

That was possibly one of the quickest fights of my life. I reload my pistol start to leave.

"NO! Angel stay there. More are coming."