Chapter 16: Freaky Friday

So a lot in my life was starting to look up. My career as an intern was close to an end which meant my promotion wasn't far. The apartment in the heart of the city was nice. So was my best friends life. Okay, I had to slog with my second job of waiting on tables (and I still hadn't started it) but I wasn't planning on continuing that for much long. And the cherry on top was the sunny side of my relationship with my mother.

"Anya, your phone's ringing." Jenna called out to me as I wrapped up all my dirty clothes into a cloth tote in my room and ran to the living room to tend to my ringing phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey." It was Zayn.

"What's up?" I asked.

As far as I could understand there wasn't any reason for him to call. Unless he wanted to have a mindless chat but that obviously was not the case.

"Listen, about the date we were gonna have." Oh, shit. I didn't cancel. Now he thinks the date's still on but what about the dinner with mom?

"Yeah, Zayn-"

"Do you mind if we do it another time?"

Great. He's cancelling. That way, I don't have to feel guilty.

"Yeah. Sure. No problem. All okay though?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?" He chuckled. And I wanted to ask him the same question twice but I didn't want to meddle with his life.

At least not until I had my own sorted.

"Good. Then I'll see you around?"

"There's no reason otherwise. We're neighbours."

And remember when I said, things were starting to look up? I also meant my love-life. There was a streak of light among the dark clouds of loneliness, in a long time. And Zayn, he was my silver lining.

***

The day was full of getting chores done. After my day shift, I got dirty clothes laundered and just when all of my hands were empty, I started getting ready for the dinner.

Finally, it was the day. We were going to talk. We were going to sort it all out. We were going to be okay and I couldn't be more thankful of that.

By seven in the night, I was dressed up in a cream knee-length dress and suede boots to complete the look. On the way over to my old home, I decided to grab a bottle of Merlot. It's not like I had an idea that it was mother's favourite but I had seen her relaxing with it several times.

"You look beautiful, honey." She greeted me with grace as I stepped inside. My car was parked in the drive-way unlike the old times. But what was just like the old time was the scent the air at home carried. Funnily enough, it smelled just like I remembered. What in a true sense a home is--is where all my memories of growing up were.

"Thank you." I smiled and handed her the bottle of wine I brought with me. "Here."

She returned my smile and led me into the kitchen. "Could you put it in the fridge, sweety?" The place looked like a mess and the scent of pasta she cooked for me made my mouth water.

"I suddenly feel good about skipping lunch." I laughed. "I've got more appetite now."

She just quietly grinned and put on the gloves to get the tray out of the oven. "I wanted to get everything ready much earlier but--"

"It's okay. I don't mind. Is the table set up?" I asked after I saw the plates idly sitting on the island.

"No. Can you do it, please?"