Chapter 12: The King Kong and The Empire State

"You're late."

"By three minutes. Seriously?"

I pursed my lips and stared at him irritatedly. I managed to get down to the ground floor at my top speed after aiding a senior doctor in a surgery and that's why I didn't even get time to change out of my scrubs. I only threw my jacket on and stumbled out of the lobby.

"Get in first."

Zayn came to pick me up at my break time. I had about an hour leave before I had to resume my duty and I decided, well he did, that we had to visit his favourite spot in the city. And he promised he would get me back in time. Right now, he stood at the hospital's main entrance pick up point, in his car and I hopped in swiftly not wanting to block the driveway. He quickly drove out of the lane and onto the street that led to Manhattan.

"Did you have lunch though?"

It were only two minutes into the tiny-road-trip and he was probably warming the situation up, trying to make the ride less awkward by silence. I glanced at my wrist watch at his question. Well, I was utilising my eating time with him how could I?

"No."

"Thought so. Get the bag from the backseat." I turned around to find a stuffed brown paper bag sitting idly on the shiny seats of his car. "I hope you're a fan of Chicken Teriyaki."

I unwrapped the Subway sandwich from within the confines it was stored in and my mouth watered at the sight of it. Multigrain bread and all of the salad dressing I adored, I was in love. With Chicken Teriyaki, I mean. Not Zayn. Why would I be in love with Zayn? Why did I even think about the Zayn-love thing?

"I am now. Thanks."

I bit into it and my mind dived into the deep pastures of ecstasy that the sandwich made me feel. Is it even possible to go through so much emotions with just two pieces of bread? And maybe a little squirt of hot sauce and chipotle sauce--my absolute favourites.

"So we're almost here." He faced me as our car took a stop at a red light. We were in the Manhattan area with cramped up streets and big brand stores everywhere. My hospital wasn't far off anyway, it was right in the town.

"Did you eat?"

"Yeah. Already. Don't worry." My mind was honestly too preoccupied to do so. This Chicken Teriyaki, this was heaven. On earth. "Why are you still in this blue thing?"

"Did you want me to be ten more minutes late?" He was talking about my uniform and I answered his question with another question. Ellie always tells me it's irritating when I do that but it's fun.

"Whatever."

He took a right and parked into a spot he'd found while we were in the red light stop.

"Where is it?"

I stepped out of the car as he did too and tumbled to feed coins into the electronic meter while I donned my Ray Bans to escape the scorching heat. My stomach was full and my mood was better because hunger made me grumpy.

"Where is what?" He asked me confused.

I turned around eyeing all the buildings but I couldn't spot that familiar grey coloured tall one.

"We might have to walk a few blocks. You know the parking mania."

"Right."

"This way."

He pointed towards his right and I obediently followed him. All of Manhattan looked like the same. Towers on each side of the road although each one is different in a sense; some are made of glass windows, some are red bricks, some are grey stones. The streets are lined with people walking and cars jamming. Not to forget the tourists that move around or the sightseeing buses that pass each second. I inhaled deeply feeling content. The city because of it's competitive nature is foreign yet welcoming. Oh, how bad I loved this city.