Chapter 14: The Diner

"Stop it, Anya. It's only a dinner."

It was not. And she was not getting the hang of the main idea I was trying so hard for her to see. It was a dinner with my mother. With my mother. My mother. What was I even supposed to talk about?

"Ellie-"

"Okay, fine." She sat in my living room, on the couch while Jenna was busy fixing herself something to eat, out of earshot. Thankfully. "Think about it calmly."

"Alright." I took a deep breath and acquired a fresh view point; at least I tried to. "So what could be the reason behind all this?"

"Anya. Anya. Anya. She's not plotting a conspiracy. Stop thinking in that direction. It's just a dinner. A single fricking dinner. You got to relax."

I really was testing her patience.

"But all of a sudden?"

"Because she is your mother. Why do you have be so negative about it?"

She was right. Partially.

"I'm not negative. It's just-" I was unable to admit it aloud. And while being sober. "I'm afraid of ruining everything before it's even alright again."

I normally was not the one to talk about feelings unless I had a few shots down my itchy throat. And then secrets came spilling out of me like a leaky tap.

"It won't, okay? It won't. Just please don't overthink. She's your mother. The one person in this whole wide world who will love you no matter what you do in your life, how you do it or what you become. So just forget this all and give her a chance."

She was absolutely right. Sometimes talking to Ellie was like talking to my own conscience. Her idea was my idea too. But I needed to hear that loud and clear, just to believe in it.

"Don't overthink." I made a mental note. "Got it."

"Good." She grabbed a packet of chips from the coffee table in front of us and snuggled on the couch. "Is there anything good on TV?"

She munched on the junk food too noisily to allow me to hear anything.

"I don't know. I don't even feel like it anymore." I stretched my arms over my head. It was a tiring day.

"Hey." Jenna came in munching. So much food was only irritating me.

We, Ellie and I, replied in unison. They both knew each other already given Ellie was the one who told me about the vacancy. Whoever said this world is a small place said the right thing. All of New York was smaller really.

"Anya, that diner job, I talked to the manager about it. And since they're out of employees already, you're hired."

I rejoiced. I have had enough of my stress inducing moments for the day, I certainly didn't want another.

"Thanks."

"You just have to go down there today and meet him. Sandy. He's a nice old man. I'm sure he'll like you."

"Thanks." I grinned. "What time though?"

"The shift starts at midnight so probably half an hour before. He might have to brief you about your duties."

I glanced at the wall clock. I only had fifteen minutes to get ready.

"Great. Thanks again, J."

"I'll give you a ride. It's Ben's Diner, right?" Ellie took her attention off the idiot box and towards us talking. "I have to leave anyway. Niall's meeting me there."