Chapter 10: Roomate Diaries

I tapped my foot on the gas pedal and shot my car into motion as those ahead of me moved to give me a clear space. Yesterday, after Zayn dropped me home from our casual day-out, I was tired and decided I could move into my new home today. And here I was, driving to the city of New York with my packed boxes in the trunk and on back seat of my sedan car because the truck I'd ordered earlier cancelled on me.

As soon as I entered the vicinity of the bustling city, a traffic snarl engulfed me and I cried out in mental pain. But this was how my everyday was going to start off as--with traffic troubles and I had to embrace it now. That was one minus point for NYC but other than that, there was not a single thing any one could despise about living in the most populous city of The United States.

"Not again."

I groaned loudly to myself eyeing the next group of cars huddled together after I exited the previous commotion. Suddenly, my phone beeped with a text and I checked it since I was not driving anyway.

big day 2day! LoL E x

I knew too well that she meant lots of love by her LOL and was probably busy with her medical workload to properly type a message. I smiled and set a mental reminder to text her back later.

So thirty minutes after crossing Hudson River from Secaucus to here, I reached my new apartment. Although it should have taken only about twenty minutes but that's alright.

"Hey."

My roommate greeted me with a smile as I dragged myself in carrying only a single box, for now. I decided I could grab the rest after I settled in with this one, containing all my clothes.

"Hey, Jenna."

She slouched on the amber sofa that was old and withering out in places but stood up once she saw me. She wore a black crop top and sailor print pyjama bottoms. With her brown hair cut in layers and falling onto her face, she looked so beautiful and perfect that I envied her. She guided me into my room which, for now, only had a bed, a shelf and a study table. There was also a closet that was appearing too tiny to hold all my items.

"Where's the rest?"

She asked looking puzzled at me.

I had, in the meanwhile, sneaked over to the window that was not too large but just the right size and held the most breath taking view. Well, I had a different opinion of the term 'breath taking' compared to other people. The window projected the typical view of a downtown street packed with cars running in every direction, black coloured fire escapes of the red-brick building opposite us and the bland grey and blue buildings too. It was a view I craved since I was twelve because New York, it was my dream city.

"My stuff? Still in the car."

"You got a spot? Good."

I deciphered amusement in her tone. Do not tell me it's difficult to find a parking spot around here too.

"It's nice and quiet here."

I remarked; compared to the rest of the city.

"I know. Yeah. Hey, listen? Do you need any help with the unpacking?"

She put her hands in her back pocket and looked at me as if she was doing a formality. I was beginning to get a gut feeling that we weren't really going to hit off together.

"No, it's cool."

"Oh. Okay. I was actually heading out with my friends. I'd invite you but I think you have a lot to do."

"Right."

Okay, I was sure now. I did not like her. Not even one percent. She was mean and arrogant and I probably sound like a distressed middle schooler aggravated for no reason.

"I'll see you then." She said and turned to head for the door while I decided on getting my clothes out before I went down again to grab the rest of the boxes. "Hey, by the way, I wanted to tell you this thing that came up."

Honestly, I could sense something was wrong by the way she started.

"What happened?"

"You do know that I'm on a yearly contract for the rent and it ends in two months?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

"The thing is I and Louis decided to prepone the wedding and so even though I said I would stay here for another two months after my contract, I'll actually leave. So you have to pay the whole rent for the two months that I'm leaving early--unless you can find a roommate to share with. Is that okay?"

Nobody drops a bomb like that and ask if I'm okay. Of course I'm not okay. I just got asked to pay her side of the rent too even after she told me she would share the space until I found a job that paid me enough. But no, she only mentions she's getting married to that long-time-brown-haired-smashing-hot-boyfriend of hers and moving out. Moving out and ending up with me paying another seven hundred dollars. This is crazy. I hate her. And now, I even have a reason to hate her.

"Yeah but how will I manage the money?"

"I could get you a job at the diner I work at. They have a vacancy at these night shifts that pay a lot more than the daytime ones. But please, please don't say no. It's very important to me, Anya."

I felt bad. The poor girl was getting married to her true love, probably the most beautiful thing in the world, after of course invention of chocolate and cupcakes. I didn't want to hurt her.

"It's okay. I think I do have some saved up money for emergency. But the job idea sounds good."

I smiled at her. What was I now, God? Why was I complying to her? I should have said a straight up NO, but I don't know why I didn't.

"Thank you so much Anya." She ran towards me flailing her arms around my frame and hugging me tight. "I knew you'd understand. Thanks. It means so much to me. And you know what?"

She pulled me by my shoulder to look at me.

"What?"

"You can get a plus one to my wedding."

That's what I get for paying seven hundred dollars?

"Thanks. That's too sweet."

"No. No. It's nothing compared to what you're doing. Thank you so much, again."

That was a completely different side of her from what I saw in the first five minutes that I spent in this house. And I reached to a conclusion that maybe it's not the traits of the person that makes them seem bad to us, it's our perception of their intentions.

And also, that she definitely was a good person at heart.

***