Chapter 15: The Proposal

The scene thereon unfolded in front of my eyes in a series of snapshots because my brain decided to shut down at such an ungodly hour.

First there was Niall walking up to Ellie in the spotlight, with a ring in his hand.

So this was what it was?

There was soft music playing in the background. There was Ellie, on the verge of tears. There were people emerging out of shadows and huddling around the happy couple. Then there was Niall, on his knees confessing his love.

And there was me, a little surprised yes, but more than happy for them both.

"Will you marry me?" Niall asked. His voice was cracking, we all could feel it but the determination burning in his eyes spoke of nothing but love.

"Yes." She was crying. Crying big fat tears of joy and I was so proud of the two. "Yes. Of course I will marry you. I love you, Niall Horan."

All that was running through my fuzzy brain only a minute ago was forgotten as I stood by, along with a few more people, and watched the newly engaged couple hug amidst all the emotions they felt. The moment was perfect to me and I could only imagine how happy Ellie was.

"You have bad timing." Zayn said. And I realised that the voice that had been baffling me, striking me as familiar, was his. Looking around, I found more familiar faces grinning with the same enthusiasm.

"I do. And this is not the first time." I laughed remembering the time I walked in on Ellie and Niall, when he was about to say his first 'I love you.' I need to work on my timing, really.

"Thank you everyone. So much." It was Ellie speaking from the centre of the room, in gratitude, making all of our heads turn towards them.

"And as celebration, the bar's set up." Niall grinned with his Irish streak.

"Cheers to that." A chorus broke out from all the men on the other side of the room and the most excited one of them was Louis raising his mug, filled with some alcohol I couldn't judge from the distance, up at Niall.

"A bar? Never expected that." I replied to Zayn.

"Niall's idea of celebration always involves getting pissed." These were just good times that I would cherish through the years to come.

Oh dear lord. Why do I always have to act like such an old lady sometimes?

"Need anything? There's everything available." Zayn asked me as I glanced at Niall and Ellie. They were still laughing at something and I was about to go congratulate them but they already had a lot of crowd of well-wishes to entertain.

"Just a beer. Thanks." I decided on waiting for a few more minutes.

"Here." Zayn got similar for himself.

"Listen, I wanted to talk to you about Friday." He took a swig from his can of beer and nodded at me as I spoke.

"Anya. Right?" A man balding with old age and a thick accent approached me and him.

"Yes. You're Sandy? Jenna told me." I shook hands with him as a gesture of politeness.

"Sanford Payne, yes. Manager and owner of Ben's 24-hour diner. Pleased to meet you, young lady." And he kissed my hands.

"Stop trying to hit on her, Sandy." Zayn mocked the man which came as a surprise to me. Apparently, Zayn knew a lot of people around here.

"Why do you always have to salt my game?" Sandy shot back, playfully.

"Is that what you oldies call it? Salt my game?" Zayn was in hysteresis.

"Oh jeez. When will you two grow up?" Another familiar head appeared shutting both Zayn and Sandy up.

"James?" I asked.

Guess who's turn was it to be surprised again? Me.

"I don't believe we've quite had a proper introduction after all the times we've met. I'm James Payne."

"Anya Kapoor." I smiled. "So you and Sandy?"

"Father and son. Yeah." He smiled as if lot was going off in the tiny part of his head. "And that's my twin there."

I turned around to be met with a lookalike of his. Just one James was too much to handle and now there were two.

"Liam Payne." His style of speech was similar to James' except that Liam came off as more friendlier than his identical blood brother. Thank God for that.

"Hi." I replied coyly.

"Boys. We have more important stuff here." Sandy spoke.

"Like you hitting on Anya." All the three boys agreed with Zayn and laughed aloud. Meanwhile, I got a little embarrassed.

"And that's why we tried to set you up dad." Liam exclaimed.

"I'm out." Sandy surrendered animatedly. "You're hired. Zayn help her with the rest." He pointed at me. "And you all are just shameless." He joked off with his sons.

"Thanks." I called after him.

"Are you free Saturday?" James asked just as his father left the party we seemed to be having within ourselves.

"Saturday?" I had nothing planned. Just the diner shift, probably. "Yeah. Why?"

"It's movie night at the club I work
at. You wanna come?" My instant reaction was to look at Zayn since having to be alone with James anywhere was the last thing I'd ever want to do. Literally the last thing because anyway James looked the kind of guy with sinister plans and all that.

"Are you going?" I asked Zayn.

"Only if he invites me." Zayn's honest comment made James rethink his invitation.

"Fine. You can come too." James rolled his eyes irritatingly.

"Cool. We're in." I spoke for the both of us and only a second later received a very dirty look from Zayn.

"You had to drag me too?" It was just the both of us now talking in a low tone.

"As much tensed as you are, I think you need a night's party to relax."

"Hold on." I caught a glimpse of a smirk on his face. "What kind of club do you think he works at?"

"Uh." What did he expect me to answer? "A dance club, obviously."

The way he was laughing made me doubt myself.

"You're in for a surprise then." And just before I could ask him what he meant by that, Ellie called out to me.

"Oh. My. God. Anya." She held her hand up to show me the big rock on her finger, distracting me with the best ever distraction.

"I know. Oh my god." My mouth fell open at the size of it as I jumped like a fangirl with my best friend.

And you know what they say--that girls will be girls when it comes to talking about engagement rings and the men they're going to marry.

***

Hey y'all lovely people--please PLEASE don't be silent readers :) vote and/or comment if you like the chapter (or even if you don't like it and have something to say YOU BETTER TELL ME) because that'll make me happy!!

I'll try to update more regularly but college gets in the way OF EVERYTHING AND UGH :x but whatever, id love to hear from y'all!! And I'm a talkative beyotch (WHADDUP MEAN GALS REFERENCE) so you can drop in a message in my box anytime and I always reply! It's always nice to get to know people

Alright, I'll shut up!! Don't ya gimme that look LOL! Ciao xx