CHAPTER 07

BEST INTERESTS

"I was totally compelled by the idea of perfect love that I thought existed"

Fear is an innate feeling bound to a person's soul, embedded in his existence

Fear is an innate feeling bound to a person's soul, embedded in his existence. Fear gives life, keeps one breathing. It keeps one rooted to his place, like gravity, from crossing the restricted boundaries of redemption. Past those borders, insecurities shed off.

That one fateful night, Arina crossed those borders. Conquering her fear and shedding away her insecurities. The denial she insisted on persisting on the peril decision of her mere confession of her feelings, how her heart fluttered in the presence of Danial; was withering away like an autumn leaf in a dark cold night.

She took out her cellphone, well aware that sleep wasn't going to tap on her windowsill that night. She had tried to put her head to rest and slumber in peace but found herself tossing around with restlessness. Tired of dancing about in her bed in a futile attempt to catch tiny dust of sleep, she decided against her decision of resting herself.

"You up?" She typed into her phone and pressed send, in pure desperation.

The first time Danial had confessed his feelings to her, the unpredictability of the course of events and their future together if there ever was one, had scared her. But the strong pull towards him and his intimidating personality had clogged her thought process. They were bonding through a nameless relation she couldn't put a title to yet and deep down she knew it was wrong but through every fragment, within her, she couldn't stay away from him. The craving for his love and attention only grew stronger with her because he was skilled at extracting those emotions out of her.

Months passed and the attraction between them bloomed. Their small chats turned into paragraphs and conversations became more extensive. Time around him made other aspects of her life or more precisely people in her life to start turning into a background muse.

He gave her full access to his hearts and thoughts. That was his way of assuring her and validating his love for her. Making her know he wasn't exactly the happiest or satisfied person around. He has had his share of pain, suffering and losses. But what he didn't tell her about were the looming demons in his closet, the insecurities that had crawled into his broken soul. He had learnt the art to hide them quite well because he didn't want to lose the last chance to his salvation. She was his salvation.