CHAPTER 04

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

     'Life has never been gracious.'

The loud snoozing of the alarm set off again in the dire silence of the room

The loud snoozing of the alarm set off again in the dire silence of the room. Sun rays peeked through the slits in the closed curtains indicating a new day had already started. Arina reached to turn off the disturbing sound of the alarm clock. Realising it was the last alarm that had set off, she jolted up in bed wide awake. Rubbing her eyes vigorously, she stepped down her bed and stretched her fatigued body before rushing to change for school.

Splashing cold water onto her face did little help to wake her up. In a haste, she changed her clothes, wore her shoes and swung her school bag over her shoulder. She hastily stepped out of the room only to abruptly stop realising her hair was all over the place and she didn't want an early scolding from her mother. She rushed back inside to grab a scrunchie from the nightstand.

Like a lightning bolt, she strode downstairs, with her hair widely flowing behind her. Casually dropping her bag on the last step, she attempted to collect her frizzy, tangled hair into a hair bun while rushing towards the dining room. Her dexterity with securing her hair into a tight bun failing. She wasn't a pleasant site one could start their nice mornings to. Making her way towards the dining table, she spotted a silhouette in her peripheral vision and clumsily turned towards it. She froze with her hands still trying to secure her hair into the scrunchie when she saw a very familiar figure comfortably seated on the sofa in front of her.

A deep throat clearing unfroze her and she dropped her hands to her sides. Her tangled hair falling loose around her like a turbulent waterfall.

"Arina you're late again..." her mother called at her and slightly pressed on the word 'again' a bit too much for her liking. "Come eat your breakfast." Arina confusedly looked between her mother placing the breakfast on the table and Danial sitting before her. Her mother eyed her dishevelled state and caught her confused glances.

"Danial is here. He'll be joining school today and it'll be helpful if you show him around since he's new. We should help him adjust comfortably into his new surrounding..." She impulsively frowned at her. "Now, Arina you're making both of you get late. He's been here waiting for you. Stop standing there like a statue, come eat your breakfast and get going." She glared at her mother for scolding her so bluntly before him. She unconsciously cursed under her breath and practically slapped her forehead after realising she had cursed. Cursing was a forbidden notation in her book of high morals and good character but subconsciously she had formed a habit of it.