Six

When she got back from classes that day he was lounging on the porch, tail lazily thumping the hardwood. She glanced around to make sure they were alone before hissing, "Asshole. Of course you would follow me. I'm not going back even if you tried." He rolled his eyes in response.

"Why are you even here?" she huffed.

He looked at her as if she was stupid, "Because you are," he told her through their telepathic mind link. Pack perks, but with their mate bond it was stronger, and would only get more intense as they grew closer and completed their mating. Natalia used to think it was cool. The way her dad just knew what mom needed before she even had to ask, how mom always knew just what dad would want for dinner without him ever saying. It seemed really convenient. No, that's not the right word. It seemed...so perfect. That level of understanding had once seemed to be the things of dreams, but now she was overwhelmed. Natalia could feel Adam like the rain, like a shroud it covered her, blinding and confusing. She wasn't sure if what she was feeling was what she was feeling or if it was what he was feeling. For the first time in her life, Natalia didn't, no, couldn't, trust herself.

"Yeah, well I want you to leave," she said.

His tail stilled, "Really?"

She hesitated before opening her mouth to say yes, but before the word could form Becky opened the door, placing a hand on a cocked hip as she raised one perfectly plucked blonde eyebrow, "Are you talking to the dog?"

Natalia felt her face flush as she stuttered, "Uh, I-I, uh, w-w-well, I'm m-m-mean....no?"

Becky gave her a wide eyed look of confusion before flipping her hair back, "Whatever. I'm leaving." She stepped over "Rocko" and skipped down the stairs.

Adam's tongue rolled out of his mouth as he gave her a laughing look.

"Oh, shut up, Rocko," she stuck her tongue out at him.

James strolled out to the porch, "Becky gone?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, thank GAWD!" he exhaled.

Natalia tossed him a funny look.

"What? You don't find her unbearably annoying? A blonde hair, blue eyes, bubble gum popping cliche?"

Natalia shrugged, "She's alright I guess. I don't see how she's a cliche though."

James' jaw dropped, "Her carbon copy didn't go to your high school?"

"Uh...no?"

"I thought they were at every school! Where did you go?"

Natalia shifted uncomfortably, glancing down at Adam, "Uh, a small public school. I lived in a small town miles deep in the forest."

"No cheerleaders? Football team?"

She shrugged, "I mean I guess, but everyone was much more focused on other things."

"Like what?"

She huffed, she really wished he would leave this topic already. "I don't know, there was a hiking club, and our cross country team was pretty intense."

"What town is this? Because I think I just found the place I'm raising my kids in!" James laughed.

Natalia bit her lip, "Oh, you wouldn't want to live there. It's very remote. Really removed from the rest of the world."

"That's perfect!"

"Uh...." she didn't know what else to say, he just wouldn't let up.

Just then Adam jump up onto James, whimpering softly. "Woah!" James caught Adam's paws in his hands before his claws could scratch him accidentally. "What's up boy?"