Chapter 9

Prince sat by your bedside as you rambled on and on about your recent issues with the police, Ray, and starting school. He nodded his head as you spoke, absorbing every word until you mentioned Ray’s recent murder.

“Did you hear what happened with Ray?” you whispered, as if you two weren’t alone in your room.

Prince stayed silent for several seconds with a blank expression before silently replying,

“No…no not really; what happened?”

“He got killed the other day in his house, I don’t how but I think it was really violent. Police officers are warning against people being out late or leaving windows or doors unlocked.”

Prince just stared back at you blankly once again as you spoke, he nodded his head occasionally as you spoke.

“Prince are you listening to me?” you screamed, causing him to jump.

He quickly blinked his eyes for a second before glancing at you, fully engaged.

“Sorry, I was thinking… No but I heard you, continue.” He answered sitting up.

You squinted your eyes at him questionably before speaking again.

“Anyways, but now the police are all suspicious about me killing him or something.” You replied, trying to hide the anger.

“Why are they suspicious about you killing him is it because you guys live across the street from each other?” Prince asked in a certain tone. His tone sounded as if he was accusing you, as if you had been caught in a dirty lie.

“…Well its cause I was the last to see him alive.” You answered with a raised brow.

“What do you mean you were the last one to see him alive?” Prince asked, his voice becoming more annoyed.

“He dropped by to talk to me a few minutes before he was killed.” You said in confusion.

“Well what did he want to talk about with you?” Prince questioned in a loud tone. As he spoke he got up from the bed so that he towered over you as you sat on the bed.

You sighed before answering,

“Me and him had beef in the past…he was just trying to get it resolved, that’s all.”

“That’s all?” Prince asked sarcastically.

“Yes! We talked at my porch for two minutes and then he left…that’s all.” You yelled back in annoyance.

Prince’s eyes darkened and he leaned down and growled into your ear,

“Don’t fucking yell at me.”

You pulled away from his whisper and then glared at him in the eyes, his eyes look like they did the other night…menacing. Although you didn’t like to admit it, Prince scared you to the core. Through his eyes you could see his gentleness and yet his evil. He seemed capable of anything.

Prince glared back at you for several seconds, inches from your face before backing away.

“Why are you making this such a big deal anyway, Ray is dead.” You asked angrily climbing off the bed.

“Cause I don’t like the idea of guys talking to you…I mean who knows what that could’ve led to?” Prince replied leaning up against your counter.

You rolled your eyes before snapping back,

“I wasn’t going to sleep with him Prince! I’m not a hoe.”

“Says who.” Prince recanted.

A silence fell upon the room after Prince said that, totally changing the mood. The comment seemed to surprise Prince even more than it surprised you. You felt your face burn and your eyes beginning to water as you snapped your head over at Prince in shock.