Chapter Forty-Two

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

******************

Cassie P.O.V.

          I tug my trunk in close to me to avoid hitting a third year over the head, trying hard not to yell at him for not paying attention as he scurries quickly away. More students jostle past me in their attempt to board the train as quickly as possible, all of us heading home for Christmas break. I lug my trunk more carefully past a group of fifth years saying goodbye and finally reach the stairs leading onto the Hogwarts Express.

          “Need a hand?”

          I look up through the few strands of hair that have fallen out of my bun to see Katherine hurrying down the steps to help. Together, we drag my heavy trunk onto the train and start pulling it down the cramped hallways.

          “Thanks,” I huff, dodging quickly out of a first year’s path to avoid being run over.

          Katherine stops in front of a compartment door and smiles at me, saying over her shoulder, “Sure. I think Cho’s in this one.”

          I follow her inside and slide the compartment door shut behind me, then look up to see Neville, Luna, and Cho sitting down on the train seats. And as Katherine starts pulling my trunk over to the ceiling rack, I peek around her and see Danny sitting next to Cho.

          My stomach dips, and I worry that he’ll get up and leave the compartment as soon as he realizes I’m here. But Danny glances over at me, gives a tiny smile, and surprisingly says, “Hey there, Cassidora.”

          What the hell is going on? Ever since Matt died last year, Danny has done nothing but avoid me at all costs—not that I haven’t been doing to same. Now he’s actually talking to me?

          I roll my eyes with a slight smile, trying desperately to think of what to say to that. I’m saved from having to come up with a quick reply, however, as Cho reaches over to mess up Danny’s hair, saying playfully, “Danny, you’re so immature.”

          He grumbles and bats her hand away, so I take the opportunity to slip past Katherine and take a seat beside Neville. Neville grins at me happily, and I quickly discover the reason for his cheerfulness; Luna’s sitting on his other side with a wistful smile on her pale face. Trying hard to suppress a laugh at the two of them, I pat Neville’s shoulder fondly as Katherine sits down opposite me next to Cho.

          The train lurches into motion after a moment, the whistle blaring to signal its departure. It’s not long before all of is except for Luna, who sits and reads the Quibbler, become immersed in a game of Exploding Snaps. I try to avoid direct eye contact with Danny, and neither of us says much else to the other.

          We’ve only been on the train for about an hour when everything starts to go horribly, horribly wrong. The game of Snaps has been over for a while now, and the six of us have resigned to just talking—even Luna’s put aside her magazine. But Katherine’s only halfway through a rant about the decreasing quality of food at Hogwarts when the train suddenly rocks so violently that Neville almost pitches to the floor. He catches himself just in time as the loud screech of the train brakes cuts through the air, and the train starts to slow down.

          “What the bloody hell is going on?” Katherine snaps, starting to stand. I’m opening my mouth to reply when something black flashes past our window, downing the compartment in darkness for a moment.