Chapter Thirty-Nine

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

***********************

Cassie P.O.V.

          Today was awful. I knew that being in classes with Draco after what happened yesterday would be torture, but I had no idea they would be that bad. Draco just stared blankly at his desk throughout most of his lessons, and it took all my willpower not to walk over and tell him everything.

I burst through the common room door an hour after my last class, sobbing uncontrollably, but the sight of Katherine sitting on her bed stops me in my tracks. I hadn’t even thought about anyone being here, I just needed to get away from all the curious glances and pitied looks. The last thing I need is a second fight with Katherine.

          As I stand in the doorway, tears still streaked down my face, Katherine stands up slowly and asks softly, “What—what happened?”

          I sniffle involuntarily and let out a shaky laugh, still remembering the last thing she said to me. “I really don’t want to talk about it.” If I tell her that I’ve broken up with Draco and am now a complete mess, she’ll just tell me it’s for the best because he’s going to “rein terror over Hogwarts” anyway.

          Katherine steps closer to me, gazing at my reddened eyes and wet cheeks with concern. She shakes her head and says exasperatedly, “Relax, Cassie. I don’t think the stupid prophecy is about Draco anymore.”

          “Yeah right,” I choke out, knowing she’s only saying that so I’ll tell her what happened.

          Her face screws up with frustration. “I’m serious, okay? I didn’t change my mind until I saw how freaked out he was when you were missing yesterday morning. He asked me if I knew where you were, and he wouldn’t calm down after I told him I didn’t.”

          My hard gaze softens at her words, and I have a sudden urge to burst out crying again. Draco was really worried about me…and look what I did to him in return.

          “Look,” Katherine continues, seeming a bit uncomfortable. “I’m sorry I thought it was about Draco, alright? It was a mistake. I mean, I can tell he really cares about you.”

          More tears spill over as I reply in a thick voice, “I’m glad you understand now, but…he doesn’t care about me anymore.”

          Katherine looks at me with pity deep in her eyes, then takes my hand and leads me over to my bed. We both sit down as she says softly, “Tell me what happened. Does it have to do with the Carrows two nights ago? You and Luna are seriously starting to scare me, Cassie.”

          It has everything to do with the Carrows. I close my eyes for half a second as I debate whether or not to tell Katherine; I mean, this is the first time we’ve spoken in about a week, and I’m not sure I’m even ready to talk about it yet.

          But before I know it, I’m telling Katherine everything. It all just spills out before I can stop it, because I have to vent about this to someone. I feel like I’m going to crack under the pressure from all this guilt. I tell her about why we had to break into the Carrow’s office, how we were caught and Amycus threatened to kill Draco if I didn’t end things with him. I tell her how I broke up with Draco yesterday, and how badly I’ve wanted to at least hint at why I had to do it.

          By the time I finish, I’m completely out of breath and am on the verge of breaking into a fit of sobs. Saying everything out loud makes it seem so much more real…and makes me feel ten times guiltier.