Chapter Sixty-Four

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

Dedicated to BriBae because after about a half hour of thinking, I decided to pick her comment from the sort of contest thing. I would spend a lot more time writing a long thank you to all you guys who wrote nice comments for me, but I'm sure you all just want to read the chapter :) Seriously, thank you all so much.

And I'll be posting the epilogue either sometime tomorrow or Monday, so don't forget about it! It's very important :)

Okay, here it is...the last chapter. I honestly put everything into this one, and I really tried to make it right. I hope you guys like it, I really put my heart into it.

*******************

Cassie P.O.V.

I’m screaming, but I can’t seem to hear myself.

I’m on my knees, clutching Katherine’s body, but I can’t feel the ground beneath me.

Curses are flying past my head, but I don’t notice.

I stare down at Katherine, willing her eyes to regain their warmth, for her bright smile to return. But her face is still lifeless, and the longer I stare at it, the harder it is to breathe.

Then the courtyard vanishes for a moment, and I’m sitting in the dormitory with Katherine beside me. She runs her fingers through my hair like she would when we were little, telling me softly that it’s okay to love someone no matter what their reputation. “If you like him a lot, then it’s no big deal. I can tell you really love him.”

Then the two of us are in a Muggle clothing store with Cho, Katherine trying to get me to cheer up about missing Draco over the summer before seventh year. “And think of how it’s gonna be when you two meet each other after so long. It’ll be like the fourth of July—fireworks.”

Then the scene changes again. I’m sorry I thought the stupid prophecy was about Draco, alright? It was a mistake. I mean, I can tell he really cares about you.”

“Nothing’s going to be the same ever again. There’s no way I can have children—“

“’The Dark Lord will return to Hogwarts and take away someone most precious to you’…I hope it’s me.”

“I’m not just going to leave all the fighting to you guys, am I?”

“Stick together, right?”

The courtyard suddenly reappears, and Katherine’s body is lifeless once more. I can feel someone trying to pull me away, so I turn around with tears clouding my vision to see Draco tugging on my shoulders frantically, shouting words that I can’t hear.

I turn back and see Cho clutching Katherine tightly, shaking her harshly and screaming for her to wake up. Draco’s dragging me to my feet, trying to pull me away from Katherine’s body and get us away from all the spells flying past. I try to wrestle myself from Draco’s grip, sobbing uncontrollably and doing everything I can to get back to Katherine—to shield her body from the curses, to hold her one last time.

But Draco refuses to let me go.

“Malfoy, get her out of here!”

Danny’s sprinting towards Cho, reaching down to pull her to her feet. He blocks another Killing Curse sent at them, turning to Draco and shouting, “Just go, Malfoy! I’ve got Cho.”