The Veterinarian

(Author's Note - Written for Aim to Engage 2020 contest. Day 20 Prompt - "I'm a Human". My second entry as the first one did not fully meet the brief.

Word count 497 words, not including this note)

I opened the door to the waiting room and called out, "Next!" A sea of eyes turned in my direction, some of them human.

A chorus of anxious thoughts bombarded me and I winced.

"My paw hurts."

"I'm scared."

"I hurt!"

I had been able to hear animals' thoughts since birth, which may have made me a great vet but was also a bit overwhelming at times like this.

"Your turn, Laddie," prompted the receptionist with a smile.

A middle-aged woman scrambled to her feet, keeping a tight grip on the lead of a large black Labrador who was panting loudly.

"Come on in, then," I ordered, briskly, holding the door open.

Mrs Dower and Laddie squeezed past into the small treatment room. Both of them eyed the steel table uneasily.

"So what can I do for you today?"

"I've decided it's time for Laddie to get... you know," she flushed awkwardly, then added in a loud whisper, "the big snip."

"Ah. You mean neutered?"

She nodded. "I've heard that will stop him, er..." She flushed again and stopped, unable to continue.

"Stop him what?" I asked, trying not to frown.

"Er, you know, humping the furniture." She glanced down at Laddie, who had slumped to the floor, still panting. His large brown eyes bulged.

"Oh, I see. Well, it does seem to help in some cases. You realise you'll have to give Laddie plenty of exercise afterwards? Sometimes neutered dogs tend to pile the weight on."

Mrs Gower nodded. "I've been worrying about it for ages, but now I think it's for the best."

"Well we certainly don't want any more unwanted puppies in the world," I agreed.

"It won't hurt him, will it?" she asked anxiously.

"Not at all," I reassured. "He'll be sound asleep. Though he will have to wear a cone for ten days after the surgery, to stop him worrying at the stitches."

A doubtful expression crossed Mrs Gower's face.

"You're doing the right thing," I encouraged. "Leave him with me. I'll book him in for this evening's surgery."

Later that night, I heaved Laddie up onto the operating table.

He stared at me reproachfully from bulbous brown eyes, as if he knew what was about to happen.

"There there, boy, I murmured soothingly. "It will all be over soon."

Then came absolutely the last thing I expected to hear from Laddie. "Please, don't. I'm a human."

"What? How?"

"You can hear me??"

"Yes."

"You'll never believe this but I was abducted by aliens! I was playing a round of golf and then this bright light came out of the sky. The next minute I was beamed up into a space ship and then... when I came to, I was inside this damned dog."

"Unbelievable!"

"I'm telling you, this is not fake news! You gotta save me, Doc."

I sighed. "Aren't you at all curious why I can hear you?"

"What?"

"It's because I'm not actually human."

I pushed the needle home.