Wolf

Author's Note - My entry for Round Two of the GranPrix contest - prompts were a fairy tale and exact word limit of 200 words.

April looked down at the wolf, his beautiful lithe body still and lifeless on the snow, and fought back tears. The bullet wound showed clearly on his shoulder, blood red against the grey fur. Who had done this?

"Hey there, Little Red Riding Hood, what's up?" Dan's cheerful voice came from over her shoulder. With her flaming red hair, she knew the name had been inevitable, right from the moment she arrived here as head of the Wolf Re-Habitation program. Stockholm's Skansen Zoo worked hard breeding wolves to introduce back into the wild and here was their first success.

Dead on the snow.

And there was only one other person who had been in a position to overhear her on the radio last night, to hear exactly where the wolf would be released. A woodsman who had pretended to be on the same side, eager to see wolves return to their natural habitat. Someone who had pretended to love her.

She turned to Dan, noticing the flash of triumph in his eyes before he changed his handsome face into a suitably shocked expression as he looked down.

Her voice was cold and accusing. "My, what big ears you have, Dan."