Red Bull Ring

Author's Note - written for the Western challenge!

 Red Bull Ring

"Crack!"  

The rifle bullet chipped the top of the boulder at the same time Joe ducked. 

"I guess they know we're here, huh?" said Joe. 

"Damn right! That was too close for comfort," I agreed. From my crouched position behind the outcrop, I turned to look at my brother. "You're bleeding!" 

A trickle of blood ran down Joe's cheek from where a splinter of rock had sliced it open. It had left a red path through the dust which covered his face.  

"Just be thankful it didn't take your fool head off!" I told him, unsympathetically. I scrambled across the outcrop to the other side and peered cautiously around the boulders. Then I drew my Colt from the worn leather holster at my hip and cocked it, ready. 

About a hundred red cattle were trotting in our direction, clouds of dust billowing around their feet. I could see three cowboys with them, mounted on what looked like thoroughbred quarter horses, a couple of sorrels and a dun. At least one of them carried a rifle under his arm, pointing towards the outcrop where we were hiding. 

I got him in my sights and waited. There was no point wasting a bullet until they were a lot closer. I hoped Joe had his head down and his gun out. 

As soon as the first rider got near enough for me to see the horse's nostrils, I pulled the trigger. Bull's eye! The cowboy slumped back in his saddle before tipping sideways. I didn't bother to watch to see if he fell off or was dragged along in the dust, I could tell he was a goner for sure.  

I took aim at the second rider, the man nearest to me. A shot whistled over my head and I ducked. A shot from Joe had the cowboy swinging his rifle in that direction and I seized the opportunity to fire off another round. Hit that one in the shoulder. Watched him fall. 

That was enough for the third dude. He spun his horse on its heels and bolted back the way he had come. Lily livered mongrel! 

Joe sent a bullet or two after him to make sure he didn't get second thoughts and then went down to investigate. 

I joined him a minute later, saw him bending down over the cowboy on the ground, checking his pockets. I looked around, but couldn't see any sign of the first man I'd hit or his horse. 

"This one's a goner," said Joe, spitting a wad of tobacco out of the side of his mouth. "Reckon the other one will be halfway to Albuquerque by now!" 

"Best we get a move on. Don't want to be caught hanging around here," I said. 

We found our horses where we had left them, down in a gully behind the outcrop, tied to a tree.  

Leaping into the saddle, we set out in pursuit of the cattle. They hadn't gone far and it didn't take us long to round them up and head them in the right direction, the direction we wanted them to go in. 

Once they were settled and moving steady, Joe came up alongside. He took his hat off for a moment to let the breeze dry the sweat in his red hair. 

He grinned at me. "Looks like another bang up job for the Red Bull gang, huh boss?"