16- A Change in Fate

Chapter 16

First Annaliese hears her father yell. Then her brother roars back at him. By the time she rounds the corner in the hall, Daniel has stormed from the throne room and is stalking down the hall away from her.

Ashlyn's wedding is now three months behind the family and things have been, in Annaliese's opinion, pretty splendid. Her time with Zorander has been teasing and dangerous. Only another three months until his return and she has a vast catalog of fantasy involving their reunion.

But now a flutter in her stomach tells her whatever she has just stumbled on is not a typical Father/Son argument.

From the throne room, Annaliese hears her parents speaking in hushed tones.

"Randolph, I don't understand. Isn't Princess Evangeline a good match for Daniel?"

"That's not the point, Aramina. I'm sure Evangeline is a lovely girl, but I will not have Daniel join the Corinthian royal family!"

"I don't understand. I thought we had a good relationship with that kingdom."

"We do it's just..." Annaliese hears him pause and sits heavily on his throne. "Mina," Annaliese heard the nickname his father gives to her mother when they are certain they are alone, "the Corinthians follow a strict matriarchy. Princess Evangeline is the eldest child and heir. If Daniel marries her he will become King, but not of Dulcinea. He will have to give up his claim to the throne completely."

"I don't see how that is different from Ashlyn marrying Dominick and leaving for Bulovia."

"It's not except she has already done it and that can't be changed. Dulcinea will not have an heir."

There is a pause in the room. Annaliese's mind is racing. The weight of this is not lost on her. She hears her mother begin to speak.

"What about Annaliese is she not an acceptable choice to you?"

"No Mina that's not what I meant." He takes in a breath so deep even Annaliese hears from her hiding spot. "You know I love Annaliese, but she is a woman- a princess. You know that they marry to strengthen our ties. You have to understand how it will look politically."

Queen Aramina doesn't speak and Annaliese hears King Randolph's voice shift to a more passive tone. Apologetic even.

"Also, do you think she would even WANT the crown? And... and think of what this will do for her marriage prospects? What prince will touch her if she can't be his queen in HIS kingdom. The youngest, weakest of the lot I'm sure."

"Well obviously no prince if he feels the way you do. You might do well to discuss this with your children. Daniel would not give away his heart lightly. And I don't know what Annaliese would think of inheriting the crown, but I know she will do what is right for the kingdom. If you expect any of your children to rule you might want to start giving them the responsibility of their own choices."

A short pause then, "You're right, Mina."

She laughs a little. "As often as you tell me that you should just save us the time and listen to me first."

In the hall, Annaliese backs away from the room. The CROWN? Years spent knowing that she had the freedom to choose whomever she wanted.. and now the crown- being the reigning queen of Dulcinea. She would ultimately rule, her husband would only be a prince.

Her heart sinks lower. Chances are more likely now she really will be forced to marry a prince, to strengthen her ridiculously weak position. She goes numb and shuts herself in her room, not opening her door for the rest of the day.