10- Embracing you

Chapter 10

Annaliese finds herself strolling through the gardens of Bulovia. Zorander will arrive at any time now. She is simply trying to keep herself busy. She twists her hands in front of her and nearly trips over a stone bench. Ahead of her, Annaliese sees her Mother also walking the gardens.

"Oh Annaliese!" She smiles warmly at her daughter. "If I'd known you were taking a walk I would have asked you to join me."

"Hi, Mom, I was just enjoying the gardens."

Queen Aramina looks her over. "Were you? You seem a little lost in thought to me."

"Maybe a little," she admits. Her Mother can always see through to her.

"I was just thinking about Prince Nicolas and..." she hesitates. How to finish? She decides she can be vague and still pour out her heart a little. It would be nice to talk to her Mother like she did when she was younger.

"What is it, Annaliese? Do you like him?"

"Not really... He's sort of smug and difficult and over bearing. I mean, he is good man, but marry him? I just..."

"I don't want to." She looks at her mother waiting for a reaction.

"Then, Darling, you don't have to." Her Mother keeps smiling and takes her daughter's hand as they walk. "Your Father and I did not choose a suitor for you. You are a beautiful, smart, charming lady and there will be countless offers for your hand."

"What if... what if I already have someone in mind?"

"Well then that would make this a lot easier wouldn't it?" She laughs a little and then realizes how serious Annaliese looks.

"Honey, what's wrong? There's something else isn't there?"

"Yes..."

Annaliese drops her Mother's hand and sits down on the stone bench.

"What if I don't want to marry a Prince?"

"Oh..." Queen Aramina sits down next to her daughter. "Is there someone special in your life?"

"Yes and no. Not officially. Not even... unofficially. But I want there to be."

"Annaliese, if you want, you can tell me who it is. One of the lesser Dukes? A Baron? A-" she breathes in, "-a boy for the palace?"

"I'd rather not say. Beyond being a Prince, I don't think it will matter, right? I mean either it's ok if I choose a man to love... or it's not. Giving me any rules to follow basically says I'm not choosing."

"If you are really serious, Annaliese, if you have an offer you are considering, we should probably talk to your Father. He will know better than I will what is acceptable."

"But that's it, Mom. I don't see why there should be a question!" Her voice has risen.

"Because your Father is the King," she says quietly.

They sit that way for a while before Annaliese speaks. "Forget I said anything ok? I'll work it out on my own." She rises and walks briskly down the path.

"Annaliese wait I-." Her daughter doesn't turn. Doesn't even slow as she walks away. A fear for her daughter begins to simmer in the Queen. Fear of what her adventurous and head-strong little girl will do when it comes to matters of the heart.

********

Zorander climbs down from the carriage and scans the palace. In front of the palace door, a figure stands dressed in sapphire blue. Annaliese.