21- Forever

Chapter 21

Alone, in the garden, Annaliese is twiddling with her thumbs. A hand rests on her shoulder and she knows who it is without looking.

"I don't know why everyone is so against us." She closes her eyes, tears continue to run down her cheeks.

"Annaliese, we knew this was going to be hard. They all think they're trying to help. Everyone loves you."

Zorander leans down and places a light kiss at the base of her neck. "Especially me."

She smiles and opens her eyes, looking out over the garden, shinning with the moonlight. "We could just leave now. Save everyone the heartache and stress. They'll be ok..."

"We can't do that to your family, My darling. You know that."

She scoffs lightly, "Since when are you the voice of reason and I'm the one scheming?" She turns to face him and parts her legs, allowing him to move forward, pulling him closer into her embrace.

His arms wrap around her and he smells the scent of her hair before lowering his head to her waiting kiss.

A throat clearing interrupts them and Zorander jumps away from his Princess.

Daniel and Ashlyn both stand, arms folded, staring at the two. Princess Evangeline is just behind Daniel, looking nervous and blushing slightly.

"We need to talk to Dad, Annaliese. As a family. It's going to be ok."

Annaliese smiles and looks between them. "You mean you're with me on this?"

"Oh Annaliese, of course we are." Ashlyn glides over to her and takes her hands. "Just because I thought backing Daddy in a corner with a public announcement was a bad idea doesn't mean I won't support you."

"Come on, Annaliese. You too Zorander. Dad went to his study to find a bottle of Brandy to celebrate my engagement. Most of the guests have left and I told him I'd join him there."

Annaliese looks to Zorander and stands up, "Well, I guess this is as good a time as any. What about Mom? Shouldn't she be there?"

Daniel nods. "I'll find her. Just wait for me before you say anything ok?"

Daniel walks away with his fiance at his heels.

Ashlyn leads the way with Annaliese following. Zorander follows behind, nervous for what may come.

**********

When they reach the study, King Randolph is just removing the stopper from his beloved bottle of Brandy, already looking a little flushed.

"Ashlyn, Annaliese, I was going to have a toast with your brother!"

"Daddy can we talk to you first please?"

Randolph looks between them and nods, noticing Zorander for the first time. He takes this as a good sign that it can't possibly be regarding Annaliese choice of marriage.

"Of course! Come in and sit down. Will you join me and your brother in a toast? Are you joining us as well, Zorander? Brandy?"

The sorcerer looks between the sisters and swallows hard. "Y-yes, Sire. I mean I'll be joining you but no Brandy."

King Randolph sits in the massive chair behind his desk. The two princesses sit politely next to each other. Zorander hovers closer to the door.

"Daddy, Annaliese really wants to talk to you about her suitors and you need to listen."

Randolph is visibly surprised. "Ashlyn, this is not your concern. Your sister and I have already discussed this."

Annaliese has her head low but raises it to look in his eyes. "Dad, please, I don't want to live without him. I can't..."