16

~*~

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that I unfortunately dread. Not the day itself, but the gathering of our families. Which is what it's all about. My dad's side is bearable to be around.

However, Candice's mother, Sylvia is the main issue.

She still had a lot to say about her daughter marrying a man five years older than her. She claims that it isn't right, especially because he already has a child and she wants grandchildren carried by Candice.

I try to ignore her words, knowing that she has always been rude. Meredith is Candices' younger sister, and she's carefree. I've always wondered how the two of them turned out to be so loving when their parents are so... Stuck up.

"Would you like some wine?" Meredith whispers, lifting her empty glass.

We managed to not get pulled into the kitchen. Sitting around with my uncle and his twin sons. They both nap peacefully, only three months old and practically tiny little blobs.

I narrow my eyes at her in suspicion, "Is that a trick question?"

She laughs, her blue eyes glimmering, she tosses her platinum hair over her shoulder with a small shrug.

"I'm not telling anyone if you do have one."

The chaos hasn't begun so I turn down her offer. The last thing that I want to do is cause her mother to believe that my dad is unfit for her precious daughter. Even more, than she already believes.

The house is soon is filled with the smell of various foods. We gather around our dining room table. Candice was right when she picked out the one with that extended. It manages to fit a dozen people.

My dad smiles at me from across the table, "Your turn honey." I had tuned them out.

Nodding with an inaudible sigh, I say the words that I rehearsed. "I'm thankful for my dad and Candice, their hard work and love for each other inspire me for my future."

Sylvia taps her manicured nails against her glass, watching me carefully. As soon as we have all said our thanks, she turns to face my dad.

"Are you aware of who your daughter is dating?"

I frown in confusion, aware of the table falling silent and all eyes on me now. He keeps a steady expression, responding with a simple answer.

"Of course I am. Why do you ask?" He retorts.

She scoffs, with a grimace. "And you're okay with her dating him? Someone who doesn't even know where he came from?" She spits in disgust. "His real mother shouldn't have whored around."

Candice steps in, while I'm too shocked to respond. "Asher is a great kid, you are no one to insult what someone else chooses to do." I clench my fists underneath the table.

"Okay, then don't be surprised if he knocks her up and leaves Zoey. But then again, she's used to being abandoned. With her mother and all."

I stand up abruptly, blind with rage and causing the chair to screech against the floor. Sylvia hides her shock by pursing her lips.

"Will you stop acting like you're so perfect? How selfish do you have to be to not realize that sometimes you should just keep your mouth shut!"

Ignoring the gasps and my dad calling my name, I push the front door open. Sitting on one of the steps with a sigh of relief. The adrenaline has worn off and my chest feels heavy with guilt.

I hear the door open behind me, my head lifting only to see Candice. "Hi." She says, joining me on the steps.

"Hi." I mutter, "I'm so sorry about that."