1

This story is completely rewritten and edited. August 2019.

~*~

Homecoming is a big deal here. It isn't a stretch that the celebration party is an even bigger deal. Our school has been undefeated for the past five years. It became a tradition to throw a party where even the towns near us are invited.

We won, which wasn't a surprise with how hard the football team practiced.

The car comes to a halt, my eyes taking in the house. Packed with cars and music loud enough to be heard throughout the neighborhood.

The party started long before we even won, the stumbling girl leaning over the front porch is proof of that. I step out of the car, rubbing my arms as the cool air hits my bare skin.

"What do her parents do for a living?" James asks in disbelief.

My friends - James, Melissa, Paige - and I rode in the same car. James' will be driving us to his house since his parents won't be home for the weekend.

I don't plan on drinking too much. However, Mel and Paige will most likely be taking advantage of that.

We follow a group inside, the music only gets louder as the large oak doors open. My eyes widen at the double staircase, and tall windows. A chandelier hangs in the center, sparkling with the reflection of the lights.

The first living room is to the right. With white furniture and perfectly hung wall decor. The kitchen is to the left, the island filled with snacks and drinks. Each room feels spacious even with the number of people inside.

"I need alcohol," Melissa says, making her way to the drinks.

We trail behind her, still admiring the interior.

James stops to greet his friends. I take a water bottle while Paige grabs a beer.

Melissa narrows her eyes, "You're not drinking?" She asks.

"We just got here." I laugh, "At least let me get comfortable."

She shrugs, taking a long gulp. I watch her in amusement with an eye roll. She always finds an excuse to drink, not thinking twice before doing so.

We wander into the main area, finding some familiar faces. Within a few minutes, Melissa is already flirting. Her ability to be confident, but not too forward is admiring.

"Want to dance?" Paige asks. She tosses her blonde hair, exposing her tanned shoulders.

I nod but hesitate as I look at our friend across the room. This house is big, it would be impossible to find each other.

James notices my expression, nodding towards the crowd. "Go have fun."

I nod, getting off the comfortable seat. "Bye," I say, allowing Paige to drag me away.

I've had two drinks already, feeling myself loosen up slightly. My heart beats rapidly with the beat of the music. Although James told me not to worry about Melissa, I make sure to keep an eye on her.

She has definitely had a lot more than we have. Melissa is carefree while sober, it's even worse when she's drunk.

I spot her with a boy from another school. She twirls a dark strand of hair between her fingers, giggling flirtatiously. My eyes subconsciously dart to where James sits with his friends.