28

~*~

The end of summer felt a lot different this time around. We aren't in high school anymore, and the majority of my graduating class is moving out of state. I don't blame them, this isn't the best place for figuring out who you are.

Our town doesn't have the same opportunities that Los Angeles does. Which explains why Scarlett was set on moving there. She's incredibly smart and our school made it a point to show off when she got accepted into UCLA.

I could never see myself moving out of here. This is where I picture myself with a family and a stable career. A peaceful town that I grew up in and have always loved.

I feel nervous and excited just thinking about the process of getting to that point. And starting my classes next week without my best friends will be hard. I don't consider myself to be shy, but that's because I have always had Paige or James by my side. This is basically like starting over and I'm not ready for it.

My mood instantly lifts at the sight of Asher. I park my car beside him, causing his gaze to lift from his phone. He grins, waving through the window before he gets out.

The others are inside the restaurant already, one last time before the semester starts. We struggled with making this happen because Scarlett leaves so early tomorrow, and her family wanted to spend time with her as well.

I slip out of the car, turning around just in time to be greeted by Asher. My arms wrap around him in a quick hug before he pulls me to his side.

"I didn't expect for you to be waiting for me, how long have they been inside?"

He shrugs, opening the door for me. "Ten minutes or so, it's awkward as hell between the two."

I glance towards the middle, where our friends sit impatiently. "James and Scarlett?" I ask quietly.

Asher nods and leads me to them. Their breakup has been messy, but they are making an effort at staying friends. James is staying here and she'll be off for the next four years. I can't imagine how tough that must be.

Paige looks up with a sigh as I sit beside her. "Finally! What were you guys doing?" She teases, causing the others to watch us curiously.

I roll my eyes, not having a chance to respond because Asher beats me to it.

"It would have taken us a lot longer than five minutes."

The waitress stops at our table right then. Brody laughs quietly at Paige's expression and I hide my blush under my hair. When it's my turn to order, I notice that the girl is from our school. She's a grade below us and her cheeks are a bright red when she looks at James.

I raise my brow while he gives her a small smile. Scarlett watches their interaction with no emotion. The tension is visible and it's painful to watch.

"Your food will be here shortly, nice seeing you again James." She smiles, leaving even happier than when she arrived.

Scarlett has always been a calm person. She's hardly ever not smiling, and she doesn't let things bother her. So it's surprising when she shifts her attention to James.

"It seems like you're not as upset about me leaving as you said you were."

He stirs the straw on his drink. "We're not doing this here." He tells her quietly.

"Tell your girlfriend to stop glaring at me." She deadpans, nudging her head towards the back.

I bite my lip anxiously, so much for them being friends. I'm grateful when Brody breaks the awkwardness by starting a conversation with Asher. I fidget in my seat when the girl comes back, hoping that Scarlett has calmed down.